Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planers for trolling  (Read 3924 times)

Shore Lunch

Planers for trolling
« on: September 14, 2007, 02:01:21 PM »

Has anyone used planers for trolling?  If so, are they effective and what shops near Vancouver would sell them?

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Planers for trolling
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:20:12 PM »

very effective for shallow water spooky fish.  Not sure who sells them. 

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:50:39 PM »

Everyone sells them if they handle Saltwater gear at al-if they don't sell planers then you don't want to shop there.

Buy the middle size.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:09:13 PM »

that's a deep 6, not a planer.  Planers push the bait out away from the boat and not down. 

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »

that's a deep 6, not a planer.  Planers push the bait out away from the boat and not down. 

I beg you pardon-you are completely FOS. ::)

Planers take bait/lures deep as per the illustration below.

http://www.oldsaltytackle.com

Planer Boards take bait/lures off to the side-a simple difference for those of us who know trolling. ::)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 09:20:31 AM »

Dude, I can't believe we're arguing over something so stupid.  In my 20 years of guiding I have rarely called planer boards any thing other than planers.  If we use a deep 6, jet diver, walker, or dipsy diver, we always call them divers and not planers.  This is how 90% of the US industry referrs to planer boards.  Technically, you're right, there is a product out there that calls itself a "planer" that will run your bait down.  And, the term planer is typically used solely for saltwater fishing and not freshwater like I fish.  However, if you do a search for planers in Cabelas, Bass Pro or google, 90+% of your responses will bring you to planer boards.  And, the picture you originally attached was technically a diver, not a planer.  I did not intend to get into a pissing match over something so stupid I hate splitting hairs, and you certainly don't have to swear at me.  Enjoy your fising season and can we please get on with a different topic?

Shore Lunch

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 08:36:51 PM »

Thanks for response re. planers/divers regardless of the proper terminology.  From what I have read further and from your response it looks like I'll be going out to pick up a 'diver' to see if I can get my bait down to a depth where I want without having to buy a downrigger.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 08:53:16 PM »

How far down do you want to get the bait, how light is your tackle and are you fishing in holes where boats are stacked up?  You'll want to take these things into consideration before choosing the right diver/planer.  I'm sure any good fishing store can help you choose the right one. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 06:49:11 AM by bentrod »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 09:44:16 PM »

With standard saltwater gear-20#-25#  test any Deep Six Planer (or Dipsy Diver ) will get you down to 25'-30' easy and 40' with a helluva lotta line out-too much line to fish near anyone else.

One thing about Planers they don't always travel at the same depth, the force of tide/current make them swim up/down a bit.

If you really want to fish effectively buy a downrigger-used manuals can be had cheaply and are a sure way to put your lure where it should be.

Planers have their place but can for some reason go hot/cold and if you're using a Flasher in front of your lure/bait you're dragging a whole bunch of gear that makes netting a fish from a small boat  interesting to say the least. ::)

IMO it's best to just run an Anchovy in a Teaser Head or a Spoon 6' behind one forget the Flasher or just use a mini Flasher.