Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Native openings today  (Read 1774 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Native openings today
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »

Starting sept 9 at 0800 until sept 21 below the port man bridge there is a communal opening for chinook that ends   tommorow and an opening for pinks that ends on the 21 of sept,methods used are drift net and siene and purse fishing,looks like the pink fishery is going to slow down for a while,will these openings have any impact on the thompson coho run,if so please explian to me the thought process of these openings and the recreational bait ban until october. ???
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Native openings today
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »

they say that 7 inch mesh does not catch anything other than springs, hmmmm...............I call bull poop!

As for dfo Baitbanning the river????????? To protect coho? because I know dfo does not give a hoot about thompson steelhead! Oh-yeah you cant catch anything else besides springs in 7 inch mesh?????

For all of those that think bbing is so bad what do you think about this?

I thought so, coho and steelhead must have been depleated by sport fishermen,not by 7 inch mesh! :P

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 05:05:44 PM »

This would explain the slow day on the river today. Why does this not surprise me about the opening. Must be the guys in the east calling the shots again.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »

A two week opening  ??? I like DFO's idea of conservation :'( :'(

river walker

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 05:22:12 PM »

if you look at the amount of pinks caught in the albion test fisheries you will see that they are getting only a few .   I have caught more spin casting in the past two weeks thatn they have in their nets.  they are 15 feet out not in the middle where they are drifting their nets!
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 07:23:19 PM »

Yeah seroiusly but I bet where there is a shortage of fish, the sport fishery will be the people to blame.

gman

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 09:09:22 PM »

The Albion Test Fishery generally uses 8" mesh.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/commercial/commercialalbionchnk_e.htm
Over the last month they have caugfht very few pinks.
They have got quite a few sockeye (about 1/3 as many as chinook) though that has dropped off a lot lately.

Not too sure what mesh size they are using on these native openeings.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »

Regardless of the mesh size i believe there has to be some level of mortality for the Thompson river stocks,with the run size of both the coho and steelhead being quite small i would think even losing a small percentage of these fish each year to be flirting with disaster.I guess my concern is if these stocks are in trouble is dfo doing enough to protect them .
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.