Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive pink schools Sept 6  (Read 13033 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Re: Massive pink schools Sept 6
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »

Hey Joe, if you like crabbing i've seen people crab quite often at the pier off 15th street in west vancouver

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »

Yes, Ed, I recall going there this past weekend, on Saturday and I saw a few people there (at Ambleside) as well.  They were catching dungeoness, but none were legal size.  I love going out and crabbing and limiting out, but I don't like spending 4-6 hours waiting to catch at least 1-2 keepers.  I have a place that I go to, but I have to drive for 45 minutes and hike in from the parking lot for about 15 minutes.  I limit out within 30-60 minutes of red rock (not my favourite, but better than nothing).  I find that I catch more dungeoness crab during the colder times of the year. 

Another note, this past Saturday, when I was at Ambleside, I saw one fellow catch a beautiful coho (small egg sacks) just off the point to the mouth of the capilano - he was fishing into some fast current, had a stick lead with about 4-6 feet of leader with a big blue fox-type copper spinner with orange colour.  He had a long rod, 10-12 feet.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 02:23:56 PM by Joe the Soccer Coach »

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 03:02:04 PM »

That guy definetly has more luck than me on the cap!

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 03:17:01 PM »

Ed, me too ...

Before the bait ban took into effect on August 1st, I was fishing the freshwater below the Cable Pool Bridge with no luck!  Although, I saw a few others catch them at the Cable Pool Lookout, using roe and a float, I didn't even get a bite using lures.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »

Maybe somebody sould post the best time to go out this weekend?The tide change and things like that hehe

gheart008

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2007, 12:08:36 AM »

Was at the New Westminster location tonight from around 6:45 to 8:00.  Started out slow (since the tide was already heading back out), but after 15 minutes or so, saw fish jumping up out of the area from all directions.  The next thing I know I look to my left and the guy standing there has a fish on!  The fish fought hard, but he finally got it to shore, and I helped him net it (he didn't have his own net).  Decent size, was at least 6-7lbs male.

Weird thing was when I was netting it, I saw it was a pink from the spots on the tail, so I lifted it out of the water so the guy could get to his spoon, but after he took the hook off, he was sort of nudging my net towards the water without saying anything, and I finally got the hint that he wanted to release it, but not before he grabbed the fish from the net and just chucked it back into the water.

At this point, the fish was belly up from being so tired and out of the water, but he didn't do anything to help the fish.  So I grabbed it by it's open mouth (couldn't use both hands and grab it's tail in the position I was in) and I turned it right side up and started moving it left and right in a swimming motion to help the poor guy recuperate it's strength.  I did this for about a full minute before it looked like it could move on it's own, and then I released it and it swam away slowly.

I told him 'nice catch', and he kind of just nodded at me, so I went back to my spot and started fishing again.  I was already thinking to myself, I guess it's good that he's catching and releasing for sport, but if he is going to do that, you'd think that he'd know how to properly release the fish in a healthy state?

Anyways, 15 minutes later, he gets a fish on again!  This time I asked him if he wanted help and he kinda just used a hand signal to say no so I let him be.  Because he didn't have a net, he just reeled the guy in (didn't see the size since I wasn't up close, but definitely not as big as the first one) and pulled it out of the water and it landed on the sharp rocks that we were standing on.  He took the hook off and again just threw the fish back into the water.  When I saw this, I was like WTF?  Dude, what's the point of catching and releasing if the fish are going to die by your hands anyways??  (I didn't actually say it out loud, just thought it). 

I started getting bites afterwards as well, 2 maybe, one where it was fish on, but it shook the hook loose before I could even see him thrash along the surface.  The second one jumped out of the water towards me causing my line to be slack, and I lost that one too.

After that, it just died down, where no fish could be seen jumping, and no one was getting any bites. 

But just as I was about to leave, a guy further down to my right gets a fish on and successfully lands it with the help of his friend.  I decided to give it a few more casts.  It then seemed like it picked up again!  This time the fish were much closer to shore jumping around.  I managed to get two more solid bites, but again one of them was lost before it surfaced, and the other was lost since I changed rods with my gf that was there and the drag on it was set way too loose.

Anyhow, just wanted to say even though I didn't take home anything, it was fun just seeing those fish jump and getting those bites.  Was a bit frustrating though seeing the way that guy handled the fish though...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 12:12:24 AM by gheart008 »

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2007, 10:02:28 AM »

Yeah I saw someone at the Mamquam do the same thing. Catch the fish and roughly releasing it by throwing it in the shallow water.

lapetitebuse

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2007, 05:59:56 PM »

I went fishing in the lower fraser 5 or 6 times this year, and each time I saw guys snagging them (I mean hook them in the back, or bellies, or tail, or ....) and releasing them after. All afternoon.
I saw guys teaching that to their children!!!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2007, 08:31:52 PM »

I went fishing in the lower fraser 5 or 6 times this year, and each time I saw guys snagging them (I mean hook them in the back, or bellies, or tail, or ....) and releasing them after. All afternoon.

They were releasing them as that is what your supposed to do with snagged fish, be thankful they weren't bonking um.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2007, 10:00:32 PM »

If you are seeing people intentionally snagging fish (different to unintentionally foul hooking fish once awhile), then phone 1-800465-4336 or 604-666-3500 and report it.

gheart008

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »

If you are seeing people intentionally snagging fish (different to unintentionally foul hooking fish once awhile), then phone 1-800465-4336 or 604-666-3500 and report it.

How do you intentionally snag a fish?  You can't really see what's happening where your hook is?  ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2007, 10:06:53 AM »

It's pretty rare to see people snagging fish in the tidal portion of the Fraser River, but from time to time, it happens and these are people who are fully aware of what they are doing. Usually they use a much thicker and stiffer rod, cast and simply rip the rod backward really hard, reel in the slack, and repeat the process until all the line is retrieved. I've seen it done on broad daylight while there are many people around. Some even go further by putting several treble hooks on their line.

This happens from time to time at the beaches behind Shady Island in Steveston because it is well hidden and they can spot DFO's boat coming in from miles away. Too bad really, because those beaches are very good for salmon fishing.

Four years ago we saw one boat drifting up the river at Garry Point Park during the incoming tide, and one guy hopped up onto the front of the boat and proceeded to take part in this technique, while dozens of people were watching. Most people obviously did not know what he was doing was wrong. Phoned them in with the boat make etc, but it was almost dark by then.

Two years ago when we were packing up after a good pink salmon fishing day at No. 3 Road, two guys showed up with the multi-treble hook setup and proceeded to snag when everyone left around sunset.

The funny thing is that it is actually easier to catch a pink salmon by spinning properly than ripping your line randomly. Unfortunately, sometimes newcomers who witness this will think it is the way to fish for salmon and copy the technique.

Phone them in, the river is patrolled heavily right now. Someone will be caught eventually.

WildRod

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2007, 11:11:47 AM »

Thanks for your post Rodney.  As I am fairly new to fishing, there have been times where I too have used this technique.  I must also say that I was not aware of the inappropriateness of this technique.  However, my rationalle for doing so was different - I actually read the back of the package for the Buzz Bombs and this technique is suggested (although it doesn't mean this is a correct or legal manoeuvre).  I am guessing that many of the people you have seen doing this are using the Buzz Bombs, along with the treble hooks that are included in the package. 

Now to make this educational (for myself and others), how would you suggest rigging up the Buzz Bombs?  Do you use them with a spoon?  Or are Buzz Bombs even necessary?

Cheers!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007, 11:24:31 AM »

Buzz bombs are mainly used in the saltwater, from either shore or a boat. The idea is to lift it up and let it sink freely to immitate a struggling baitfish. As the Buzz Bomb sinks freely, the salmon usually strikes it. You can avoid snagging fish by doing either a small fast twitch with the rod tip, or slowly lift the rod up, drop it down and reel in the slack line. It's not an easy technique and quite often you'll find yourself hooking the bottom if the slack line isn't reeled up fast enough when fishing from shore.

The treble hook comes with the package can be used in areas where treble hooks are permitted. If you are fishing in the Fraser River, you are only allowed to use a single hook so you just have to find a single hook to replace it. Treble hooks are still allowed in most other saltwater areas.

The rigging is simple, thread the buzz bomb onto the line, the rubber protector, then tie the hook on. I personally don't use it that much because I dislike having this lure sliding up and down the line when fighting a fish.

If you are fishing in the Fraser River, a spoon or a spinner would be a better choiced lure. My recommendation is a lure that weighs about 1/4 to 3/8oz. Any brightly coloured ones would work. Simply cast, allow it to sink for a few seconds, retrieve slowly (but not slow enough to the point that it is hitting the bottom). When the pink salmon strikes, it feels like a distinct tap on the rod tip. That's when you need to yank the rod. ;)

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 02:08:33 PM »

Go to the Surrey docks and you will see snagging. People are almost shoulder to shoulder and jigging ,just like jigging for herring in the good old days .