Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive pink schools Sept 6  (Read 13035 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Re: Massive pink schools Sept 6
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 09:29:39 AM »

Hey Soccer Coach,

FN = First Nations.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 09:34:32 AM »

I've just started seriously fishing again, and wondering if you can help me with where I may be able to fish in the New West area

I have heard there is good fishing from shore at Sapperton park (E. Columbia and Cumberland).

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 09:50:56 AM »

Thanks Rodney!

As always, you're very helpful.  Do you find that the further up the Fraser (meaning in the New West area), the less "fresh" the pinks are and look?  i.e. the females are less silver and the males are more "humpy"

Cheers,

Joe

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 09:53:37 AM »

Thanks Ed for that "FN" definition.  I didn't know there was First Nations "side" in New West.  Where abouts is that side and are non-natives allowed to fish there?

Cheers,

Joe

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »

As always, you're very helpful.  Do you find that the further up the Fraser (meaning in the New West area), the less "fresh" the pinks are and look?  i.e. the females are less silver and the males are more "humpy"

The fish are very fresh and silver between Steveston and Mission. You're basically catching the same fish on the same day from any of these locations as they are being pushed in by one tide. Once you get above Mission, you would still get some nice fish, but many are not worth keeping in my opinion, but I'm rather spoiled by what are available around Richmond.

Headshake

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 10:32:51 AM »

Brownsville bar on the south side is the most popular.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15664.0

See link to map lower down in the post.

Thanks to those who are very unselfish by helping other newbies find spots to fish. It's a huge help and really appreciated.
I know people hate to give up their locations, but maybe you can throw the new guys a bone and direct them to some of the more popular spots until they get some confidence to venture out on there own.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:36:16 AM by Headshake »
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »

Hey Soccer Coach just to clarify the FN thing, I was relating to the FN side on the capilano river. SOrry for the miscommunication

emac

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »

The Fraser is a huge river with many spots to fish.  You should be able to easily catch fish at any location.  Brownsville, Annacis Island (north side by the bridge), end of No 6 road, No 3 road, Garry Point Park are all easy spots to get to.  There are many fish in the river and I've caught fish on all sorts of different colored crocs.  I haven't found one yet that has been outproducing another.  I found all my spots by using a map and looking for roads that went close to shore. Yesterday, a friend an I hooked about 15 and landed 6.  Do a bit of exploring and you'll find plenty of places...and fish.

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »

Ed, thanks for the clarification on the Capilano and FN thing.  No problem.

Rodney - do you fish for pinks in Richmond, between the dock and No. 3 Road?  I saw a few people about three weeks ago try their luck, with no success (too early). 

I might try Brownsville Bar.  Thanks for the advice everyone!  The river and the lower Mainland is big enough for everyone.

Thanks again!  Now if I could only find a good place to catch dungeoness crabs in the Lower Mainland??? Ughhh.  Rodney, are you sure that I can't try my hand at dropping a trap in the sandy areas of Garry Point Park?  I did get a few small ones on my fishing line, along with some quite large sculpins.

Cheers,

Joe

David_R

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 11:25:50 AM »

Hey joe! Crabhead!
You said you're portuguese right? So you like crabs right? Spicy?! Yeah!

Right now is not the best but you can still fish for them, common places are in english bay, off cates park, and in tsawassen by the ferry terminal. I haven't had that much luck this year but I've only gone out twice.

From June to October around vancouver are not as good cause the heavy commercial pressure, but you should see your luck improve outside of those times.

Are you saving the heads of your pinks for bait?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:27:49 AM by David_R »

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 11:26:15 AM »

Has anyone ever tried fishing from the Fraser Foreshore Park where the Womens Pen is/was?  Are we allowed to fish from there?  

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 11:35:18 AM »

Hi David R.

Yes, I'm Portuguese and I saved the pink head for crab bait, although I prefer using chicken backs/pieces as it lasts longer than the fish heads. 

I did some crabbing when I went to Cowichan and was lucky, limiting out in less than an hour with two red rock and two dungeoness.  Where at English Bay can one crab?  Is that from the the Maritme Museum side or from downtown?  I've tried crabbing at Cates Park and Belcarra, but no real luck with dungeoness (just red rock).  At the tsawassen ferry terminal, don't you need a boat to get out there?  I've also tried Barnet Marine Park with no luck (you need a little boat to get out there)

Thanks for the advice.

Joe

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »

Has anyone ever tried fishing from the Fraser Foreshore Park where the Womens Pen is/was?  Are we allowed to fish from there?  

Yes, you are allowed to fish there. I've caught cohos and bull trout there in the fall.

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 12:40:38 PM »

Fish Assassin, do fish near the bridge at the end of th trail, or toward the old Mac Blo site?  basically up toward the ocean, or down toward New West?

I know on Saturday I'll be going out to Brownsville.  Maybe Sunday evening during high tide, I'll hit this area.

Thanks again!

Joe

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »

Downstream from the parking lot works best for me.