Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natives too defy ban  (Read 12109 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Natives too defy ban
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »

They need the protein to make it through the winter?  This seems very hypocritical to me.  Although, I am naive to the ways of the FN, I am familiar with American Indians.  I have heard similar things from them in the past as McDonald's wrappers fall out of their cars.  Right or wrong, most tribes in Washington State are not solely reliant on their historical ways for sustenance.  They take vitamins, drink milk out of a carton, smoke Marlboro's and use vaccine's.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 05:09:12 PM »

As I posted elsewhere FOC was seizing nets today and are out in full force today.

It is a sad situation that some people in at least two sectors donot want to realize there is a conservation concern for our sockeye stocks and donot want to do their part to help them reach their natal streams to spawn this season.

Word has been circulating today that some people want to stage a protest on Monday.

In my mind this will do them no good and just make matters worse for all, the public is well aware through the print and TV media there is a conservation concern and will show them no sympathy.

I am sure some will disagree with this post and that is their right to do so but as I said a few weeks ago changes were coming that would affect I us, that day has now arrived or will on Monday. :(

I hope they do not go through with at as I think it's a very bad idea.  It will only make us look bad and help to give the natives justification for fishing during a closed period.  If FN continues to keep socks and DFO does nothing then that's something to protest about but for a change it sounds like DFO is doing there part.  I can see how some might be pissed off that the natives got an opening and we didn't even get a short one but I still think it will only hinder our opportunities in the long run. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 05:55:02 PM »

As I posted elsewhere FOC was seizing nets today and are out in full force today.

It is a sad situation that some people in at least two sectors donot want to realize there is a conservation concern for our sockeye stocks and donot want to do their part to help them reach their natal streams to spawn this season.

Word has been circulating today that some people want to stage a protest on Monday.

In my mind this will do them no good and just make matters worse for all, the public is well aware through the print and TV media there is a conservation concern and will show them no sympathy.

I am sure some will disagree with this post and that is their right to do so but as I said a few weeks ago changes were coming that would affect I us, that day has now arrived or will on Monday. :(

I hope they do not go through with at as I think it's a very bad idea.  It will only make us look bad and help to give the natives justification for fishing during a closed period.  If FN continues to keep socks and DFO does nothing then that's something to protest about but for a change it sounds like DFO is doing there part.  I can see how some might be pissed off that the natives got an opening and we didn't even get a short one but I still think it will only hinder our opportunities in the long run. 
Good post, wouldn't it be great if all sectors could get together with FOC and work out a fishing plan where everyone could share in this wonderful resourse.

If I was younger and smarter I would give it a try. Maybe I should run for politics instead. ;D ;D ;D

nosey

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »

I don't think your old or stupid enough to be a politician yet. Get out in the sun without a hat for a few more years then give it a try. The sports fisheries credibility is pretty badly damaged now by it's inabilty to police itself when given a chance, I hope nobody goes out.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 07:15:08 PM »

DFO has just posted an amendment banning all trees, logs twigs and branches from being discarded into the fraser. This has taken affect at 12:00 Saturday evening. We must conserve the limited amount of  logs and branches still resting on the shore. There has been a decline in the amount available due to campfires being allowed all year in local campsites. Chief Stanley Tree is warning about a shortage of trees affecting the traditional smoking of sockeye. For those of you who can not recognize this its called satire. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit. Please do not take seriously. Seriously though very good plan I will partake but beware there is probably or probably will be a law against it. Cheers, do what you can thats all you can do. I need to get out fishing I'm going nuts.

Now that is funny.........................but beliveable from DFO

BigJohnson

• DAMN FLYFLOSSERS!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »

Not sure how catching sockeye, to sell from the trunks of cars, can be considered a "Food Fishery"
It's a good thing the F/N are such responsible stewards of "their" lands  ::)
>=))))*> ON!!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 08:47:52 PM »

They need the protein to make it through the winter? 

But of course, sockeye costs $5 /lb while chum and pink are $2/lb. For $5 you can buy a lot more beef. There is your protein.
You see. ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »

Not sure how catching sockeye, to sell from the trunks of cars, can be considered a "Food Fishery"
It's a good thing the F/N are such responsible stewards of "their" lands  ::)
Good to hear from you BJ, you were one of the orignals on FWR I believe. Hope to see more posts from you.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 09:04:17 PM »

I saw the 6 oclock news on global tonight and they had a story showing the natives getting caught netting today. Now when they showed the catch in the boat I got a little disturbed. There in clear few entangled in the net was a small sturgeon. They also showed DFO giving out tickets to appear in court. They also did an interview with Fred Helmer about the financial losses and the small impact that the rec group have on the fish. I hope they show it again at 11. I am going to e-mail global to see if their reporter even noticed the sturgeon in the boat.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Flycastin

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 11:39:02 PM »

At least we are talking about it. On some fishing forums, if you mention "Natives" and "Fish" in the same thread, it will get deleted.

Talk about hiding your head in the sand.  ::)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 12:08:59 PM »

for future news watching, all newscasts are archived here:

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national/video/index.html

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

FLOSSNBONK

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 03:56:18 PM »

Oh this is so rich. Well, we asked for it, now the local economies will suffer, and the natives will have a hay day getting all the fish they want. The tribes further up-river will also be poaching to the n'th degree to make sure they get their protein too. The laws in this country are a joke because they are never enforced. Does anyone actually believe these FN fisherman give a rip about having to appear in court for their slap on the wrist. Sure the public won't have any sympathy for them , but the government we elected will do nothing about it , and our choices for an elected government acting responsibly by enforcement with whatever means necessary will likely never happen. SAD! SAD! SAD! :-[
Catch your limit, go home. Catch and release kills fish, and is cruel torture.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »

Protein!?!  There's something called beef, pork, poultry.  Oh and not that traditional rap about 'oh fish has been our tradition'.  Those natives might have forgotten, they did not came from rocks and just appear by Fraser and start fishing for sockeye.  THEY IMMIGRATED HERE!!!  They only starts to fish for sockeye a few thousand years back.  As their ancestors were nomads in nature.  ADAPT.  Stop the ridiculous statement as those are traditions.

If they want traditions, do as they preach, with traditional fishing method ONLY.

FLOSSNBONK

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 05:28:30 PM »

"Protein!?!  There's something called beef, pork, poultry.  Oh and not that traditional rap about 'oh fish has been our tradition'.  Those natives might have forgotten, they did not came from rocks and just appear by Fraser and start fishing for sockeye.  THEY IMMIGRATED HERE!!!  They only starts to fish for sockeye a few thousand years back.  As their ancestors were nomads in nature.  ADAPT.  Stop the ridiculous statement as those are traditions.

If they want traditions, do as they preach, with traditional fishing method ONLY."

Bingo, and they should fish with a canoe and spear,(like to see that on some parts of the Fraser) if they want the food for cerimony. I don't think they had 25 foot jet boats and high tech nets back in the old days now did they? But we, as a bleeding heart society will continue to do "what's politically correct" won't we!  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:30:05 PM by FLOSSNBONK »
Catch your limit, go home. Catch and release kills fish, and is cruel torture.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 06:31:08 PM »

Took a drive from just above Island 22 to The Agassiz Rosedale Bridge this afternoon and saw no fishing activity at all from anyone except except for a dad casting out a rod for his kids fishing for pike minnows.

Actually it was an eerie silence out there, a silence that I have not heard on the Fraser for a long time, no boat activity at all. Boat launches were mostly empty.

I also was disturbed by the amount of garbage left behind by the weekend campers. How I wish we had the man power to clean it up but we have our hands full working on the Chilliwack Vedder.

Would be a good project for someone to take on and head up.