Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sun fish in kanaka creek August 14th, 2007  (Read 6679 times)

2slow

Re: Sun fish in kanaka creek August 14th, 2007
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »

problem with flyrod at stump is there is no room for back cast you need to roll cast to get it out there what you really need is a float tube then you can get anywhere on that lake

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 08:01:27 AM »

My fly casting has a lot to be desired,thats out of the question .I guess it's back to ultra-lite spinning . Are there any other lakes that have sunfish in them ? ??? ??? ???

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »

My fly casting has a lot to be desired,thats out of the question .I guess it's back to ultra-lite spinning . Are there any other lakes that have sunfish in them ? ??? ??? ???

Trout Lake in Vancouver has Pumpkinseed Sunfish and Crappies which are like a sunfish. Whonnock Lake in Maple Ridge has more Crappies than one could ever want to catch literally thousands or tens of thousands. Hatzic Lake has sunfish and crappies as well as bass. Also try Mill Lake in Abby for crappies, sunfish and bass.

CandT  8)
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

freakonaleash

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 11:36:44 AM »

Why do you use worms if you do not like killing any thing. ;D  Do you just like others to do your killing, then you can go to macdonalds with a clear conscience. ;D Me i have always been able to kill things, then when i eat them i have a clear conscience. Even vegans cause the death of things.

Haha worms are the exception. I dont kill anything because i honestly dont like fish. WITH the second exception being salmon. But due to many closed fisheries and a lack of experience i never get any

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 12:43:43 PM »

Could you please give me directions to whonnock lake and can you catch the crappies or sunfish from shore ? ??? ??? ???

coryandtrevor

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »

Could you please give me directions to whonnock lake and can you catch the crappies or sunfish from shore ? ??? ??? ???

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=vancouver+bc&daddr=whonnock+lake+bc&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.939885,59.765625&ie=UTF8&z=10&om=1

Paste that in your browser. Thats from Vancouver you can add your exact address up top in the search bar to get more accurate directions. Whonnock is not really a good shore fishing lake but you can try, there are a few spots ( I recommend bringing at least waders or shorts and sandals). Those little crappies school up in/near the weeds anyway. Get there early in the morning or later at night or you will be dealing with armies of screaming rugrats and barking dogs.

Hope ths helps,

CandT 8)

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2007, 02:03:27 PM »

What is a screaming rugrat, do they bite? ??? ??? ???

coryandtrevor

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 02:11:28 PM »

What is a screaming rugrat, do they bite? ??? ??? ???

:D :D :D

freakonaleash

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 09:14:16 PM »

Whonnock's horrible.  ;D

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »

I was about to try Whonnock and know you say it's horrible , whats so horrible about it ? ??? ??? ???

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 11:42:09 PM »

I caught a sunfish at the exact same spot, Thurs. the 23rd. Right at the mouth of the Kanaka where it meets the Fraser. I'd never seen one of them before and at first I thought, "WTF? Did someone release an aquarium fish in here?"

After putting the first fella back in the water, I realized that the little depression just 7 feet offshore that I was fishing in was literally loaded to the gills with the odd-looking little buggers. Was using a weight follwoed by 2 feet of leader and a barbless bait hook with a dew worm for bait. The sunfish robbed me blind of all my worms in under half an hour. If you're out for these guys, I'd suggest getting your worms threaded on as tight as you can.

As for Whonnock, i agree, it's sort of an unappetizing shoreline. Shares the sames characteristics as a few other lakes in the Maple Ridge area, namely: Mike Lake and Rolley. Creepy brown water, lots of lilly pads, mushy 'beach' and small fish... But your mileage may vary....