Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sun fish in kanaka creek August 14th, 2007  (Read 6682 times)

2slow

Re: Sun fish in kanaka creek August 14th, 2007
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »

They're not bad.  Each fillet is good for one bite.  They taste similar to Bass and Crappie.  Best to beer batter and fry them.  Instead of using cracker crumbs, use salt and vinegar potato chips. 

I have had these before also but not with the s+v for crumbs that sounds good. As far as how they taste -- to me they beat salmon anyday -- but that is just me

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 05:45:19 PM »

What would you use to catch sunfish ? ??? ???

freakonaleash

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 05:48:24 PM »

Hook and a worm my friend. Thats pretty much all i use. It works amazing.

about killing them, I dont like killing anything. I never have killed a fish, I always put them back, and i dont even like the taste of fish. I just do it for sport.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 07:37:45 PM »

Are there any other lakes that have sun fish in the lower mainland ?

speycaster

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 07:38:55 PM »

Why do you use worms if you do not like killing any thing. ;D  Do you just like others to do your killing, then you can go to macdonalds with a clear conscience. ;D Me i have always been able to kill things, then when i eat them i have a clear conscience. Even vegans cause the death of things.

2slow

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 08:21:26 PM »

Stump Lake up in the Squamish area has a ton of these in it. Anyone know what the daily limit on these is?

Hook Set

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:12 PM »

Your right 2slow stump lake has so many. My friend and I used to go over there when we camped at alice lake when we were young. We stood on the log that goes out into the middle of the lake. If you put on a worm you won't be able to keep them off. They are not big fighters or anything but tons of fun for little kids.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »

How big are the sunfish at stump lake ?  Is there places to fish from shore or is a boat needed ? I have seen sunfish caught on tv but have never seen any in the lower mainland . Is there a season or do they bite anytime ? This topic has gotten me interested in catching a sunfish .

Hook Set

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 10:24:24 PM »

The sun fish are not very big, probably about the size of the picture nosey posted on the first page. Of course you get some slightly bigger and smaller. Its been a couple years since i fished there but I am sure there are places you could fish from shore. You wont need much space. I fished off the log, which you can walk onto from shore. I don't know about seasons as I do not fish them except when I was little but I camped there around this time and we were getting them like crazy so it should be good now. But there are others who may know more as the only experience I have is fishing them when I was younger. Good Luck
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:26:10 PM by Hook Set »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:55 PM »

Fish for them where you would fish for bass.  However, they are in typically shallower water and hang out in schools.  I prefer to sight fish them.  They are not shy, thus great fish for kids to fish for.  You can also use powerbait worms or grubs.  They will stay on the hook longer than one fish.  Again, they are prolific, so don't feel bad about keeping them.  Otherwise, they will tend to compete for food with others and eventually everything in the lake will get stunted. 

2slow

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 11:53:38 PM »

on stump there is a path around the whole lake and anywhere you can get access to the lake off that path you will catch them. I take people there that never have fished so that they are guaranteed something and as a bonus you will get the odd rainbow there also. Worm and bobber is the way to go. and you wont wait much more than 30 seconds before your bobber takes off

blueback

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 03:49:40 PM »

If you really want to have some fun with these guys, take the lightest fly rod you've got and cast out anything in the way of a dry fly (once you've located the structure they're hanging around; they like to dart out from hiding and ambush anything) drag it slowing across the surface and hang on!! These little guys will generally give you a great pound for pound fight.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

Thanks for the info about sunfish ,now could you tell me how to get to stump lake .I've never been there ?

2slow

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 07:10:43 PM »

Go up to the alice lake turnoff after squamish follow the road up to alice lake stump lake has a parking area and its about a 5 min walk to the lake.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 07:17:49 PM »

As you were saying fly fishing would be a lot of fun for these fish however I have had my fly rod for 10 years and yet to catch a fish .Since pan fish are more redily at stump I will try to break in my fly rod there .

Lyle