Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help: new reel  (Read 1986 times)

Sinaran

Help: new reel
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »

just bought a Daiwa Luna L300 from the Army and Navy store in downtown, i am gonna use it on this coming fall season.  Well, what i need to know is, what is the best way to maintain it, to keep it on tip-top condition always...  i heard some said don't fill it with braided line/fireline cause those r gonna screw the reel, i don't know about it, i thought those lines only abuse the rod guides?  wash it after every outing right, and do i have to drain it/dry it after rinsing the reel? I know i am asking stupid questions here, but come on guys, i am a rookie in this sport and this reel is an expensive investment for me ($319) so i don't want to waste it too soon.  ;)   
thanks for any input !!  :-*
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

river walker

Re: Help: new reel
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:59:12 PM »

good question, you want to protect your investment.
# 1 if at all possible do not rinse reel off in the river unless it's gotten sand in it.  this will wash away lube etc. if sand has gotten in yes of course rinse.
# 2 when you get home from fishing , rinse under your tap with warm water and place on paper towel to drain and dri.
#3 once dri , a shot of quantum hot sauce on the worm gear and in the handle , also take the drum control knob off and put a drop in there.
#4 back off the drag to minimum to avoid compressing the drag washers . if you leave tightened your drag will become jerky and you will loose fish.
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »

good question, you want to protect your investment.
# 1 if at all possible do not rinse reel off in the river unless it's gotten sand in it.  this will wash away lube etc. if sand has gotten in yes of course rinse.
# 2 when you get home from fishing , rinse under your tap with warm water and place on paper towel to drain and dri.
#3 once dri , a shot of quantum hot sauce on the worm gear and in the handle , also take the drum control knob off and put a drop in there.
#4 back off the drag to minimum to avoid compressing the drag washers . if you leave tightened your drag will become jerky and you will loose fish.

Excellent advice. I can never understand why people pose with their catch with their reel in the water.

Sinaran

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 01:19:58 AM »

wow guys, thanks a lot for the valuable advices! i marked them all down and will follow just as mentioned!~  thanks again. :)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 06:40:37 AM »

There is one specific shop I can think of where the owner will work on your reel at the front counter.  I myself am fairly mechanical and enjoy tinkering etc so if you have a new reel, find a shop owner that will allow you to watch him do the tear down the first time.  After seeing it once, you could probably do it yourself from there on in and save yourself the time and money.

PS - I never get my reel wet and if I do, when I get home I take it apart and regrease it.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 09:20:47 AM »

I'd recommend getting a neoprene reel case if you don't have one.  When using a reel with braid you don't want to apply too much pressure to the spool when pulling on a snag because the braid has no give.  If the snag won't come out easily wrap your line around a stick to relieve pressure from the spool and pull yourself free.  If you are really worried about contaminents getting in your reel you might want to try some Tuff Line Plus because it has a silicon coating rather than acrylic (which flakes off easily) like Tuff XP.  Enjoy your new reel its a smooooth one.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:00:02 AM »

It is also a good idea to spool some mono underneath the braid.  It helps to conserve a bit on braid and provides some shock absorption.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »

del
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:24:36 AM by dennisK »