Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Seymour Salmon Hatchery volunteering opportunities  (Read 3848 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2007 Seymour Salmon Hatchery volunteering opportunities
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:29:58 AM »

The Seymour Salmon Hatchery will be doing fin clipping on coho fry tomorrow, Saturday (14th) and Sunday (15th). If you are interested in volunteering for this activity, please contact Marc at seymoursalmonidvolunteer@hotmail.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fin clipping at Seymour Salmon Hatchery
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »

Next Thursday (19th), the hatchery will be doing the first seine netting to capture and tag coho salmon at the hatchery pool. This is a good opportunity to get a closer look at the Seymour salmon stock. This depends on the river level so you need to email Marc at the above email address if you are interested. If it is a go, it will start at 10am and end at 1pm.

Pat AV

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:07:27 PM »

bump.....

They are clipping this weekend too (July 21-22)

I will be there saturday choppin' adipose hope to see others as well  :)

Tight lines,

Pat
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »

July 23rd volunteer updates

Thank you to everyone who helped out with last weeks activities. We captured 30 coho, 1 chinook and radio tagged one summer run steelhead in the hatchery pool seine. On the weekend we were able to clip 19,000 coho fry. Thanks again.

On the schedule this week:

Thurday July 26th: Fin Clipping 9:30am to 2:30pm. Meet at the hatchery

Saturday July 28th and Sunday July 29th: Fin Clipping 9:30am to 2:30pm both days at the hatchery.

If you would like to help out, you must let James Weger, the volunteer coordinator, know in advance. You can contact him by email at seymoursalmonidvolunteer@hotmail.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2007 Seymour Salmon Hatchery volunteering opportunities
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 12:53:46 AM »

August 15th and 16th: Hatchery Pool Seine and Old Dam Pool Seine. Meet at the hatchery for 9:30am. Please bring a pair a waders if you own a pair.

On a different note, thanks to the all the volunteers that helped with last weeks hatchery pool seine. We captured 60 coho and radio tagged 6 summer run steelhead.

If you would like to help out, you must let James Weger, the volunteer coordinator, know in advance. You can contact him by email at seymoursalmonidvolunteer@hotmail.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:56:46 AM »

Thursday Sept. 13th: Hatchery Pool Seine. Meet at the hatchery for 9:30am. We should be finished by 12PM. Please bring waders if you own a pair.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »

The hatchery is hoping to finish off the steelhead fin clipping this weekend. If you are available to help out on the weekend, please let them know. Even if you are available for half a day, that's fine.

Saturday Sept. 15th 9:30am at the hatchery.

Sunday Sept. 16th 9:30am at the hatchery.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:08:53 AM »

Hi Everyone,

We will be starting our Chilliwack pink salmon egg takes this Wednesday Sept. 26th. which is a week earlier than anticipated. This will be one of made dates in the coming weeks. Our pink salmon egg take quota this year is 2 million.

If you are available to help out, this is a full day committment. We meet at Rice Lake Gate for 7AM and should be back no later than 5PM. Please be prepared for the weather and conditions. Lunch, extra change of clothes and if you have a pair of waders, please bring them. Don't worry if you don't, we can supply them for you.

Please contact me as soon as possible to arrange rides up to the egg take site up on the Chilliwack.

Also, there is the possibilitly of heading up this Thursday and Friday, but we won't know until Wednesday to see how the run is doing. I'll let you know if there is the possibilitly.

Thanks,

James Weger
Seymour Salmonid Society
Volunteer Coordinator
seymoursalmonidvolunteer@hotmail.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 12:20:42 AM »

Hi Everyone,

We collected 400 pink adults today and transfered them back to the Chilliwack Hatchery for holding. They will be spawned at a later date.

We will be back up there on Friday Sept. 28th and Monday Oct 1st.

If you are interested in helping out please contact me as soon as possible so I can arrange rides up.

Details:

Meet at 7AM at the Tim Hortons (Drive thru one) on Dollarton Hwy. Full day, expect to be back for 5PM at the lastest. Bring approriate clothing, change of clothes, lunch and waders if you own a pair. We have waders available to those that don't own a pair.

Another option, is if you want to drive up yourself, we meet at the Chiliwack Hatchery for 9AM.

Thank you,

James Weger
Seymour Salmonid Society
Volunteer Coordinator

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 02:32:54 PM »

Hi Everyone,

We will be heading up to the Chilliwack River to continue our pink salmon egg takes this Wednesday Oct 3rd. If you are interested in joining us, please let me know.

Meet for 7AM at the Tim Hortons on Dollarton Hwy (Drive thru one). Look for the White Seymour truck.

Please be prepared for the weather (ie rain gear) ect. Lunch and change of clothes. Bring waders if you own a pair.

Thanks,

James Weger
Seymour Salmonid Society
Volunteer Coordinator

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 02:13:36 AM »

The Seymour Salmon Hatchery did a seine netting today with some great help from the Langley Environmental Partners Society. The river was a bit high but volunteers still managed to seine about 400 adult coho salmon from the hatchery pool. There were plenty of wild fish and they have collected all the coho broodstock needed for the year.

Earlier this month, for the first time ever, pink salmon were seen spawning just outside the hatchery in the main channel of the river. Hatchery staffs have also found the odd pink carcass in the streams near the hatchery. Both a very good sign that enough pinks are now making it past the canyon and into the upper watershed to make use of the excellent spawning habitat in the upper sections of the river.

This week's volunteering request is for a snorkel survey! It's a short notice but the hatchery is hoping to do the survey on Thursday (November 1st). James Weger sent out the criteria for the surveys in the past and the first two (physically fit/good swimmer) still apply. Previous experience diving or doing snorkel surveys is great but not required. All gear is supplied.

Please email Matt Casselman at volunteering@seymoursalmon.com if you would like to come float down the river! If the hatchery doesn't get enough people this survey will be canceled.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 06:28:17 PM »

the float was a success but barley.
we had enough people to start the float but 2 got sick part way threw and had to walk the rest.

I'm not sure if all y'all know this  , but the Seymour relies heavily on volenters to make things happen.that being said i know most people work during the week, but if you can give back it would be great. ;D
girls suck throw rocks at them!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 10:52:03 PM »

Hi everyone,

We are going to try to squeeze in a hatchery pool seine on November 8th. Let's hope this nice weather continues and we don't get a lot of rain. We have all our broodstock so this will be to mark more fish for our mark/recapture program.

9:30 am at the hatchery. Equipment supplied. A ride to the hatchery from Rice Lake available for those that can't or don't want to drive up.

Thanks!

--
Matt Casselman
Volunteer Cordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
volunteering@seymoursalmon.com
604 640 9690

Pat AV

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 04:26:46 PM »

From Matt:

Hi everyone!

A snorkel survey has been scheduled this Thursday, November 22nd. The Greater Georgia Basin Steelhead Recovery Plan (GGSRP) team will be joining us. The snorkel survey is weather dependent of course, but it's looking more and more like we should be able to pull it off. On the last snorkel survey I saw a half-dozen steelhead,  lots and lots of coho, one particularly BIG chinook, and even a tired old pink.

If you are able to join us on the survey please e-mail or call. Basic requirements still stand (physically fit, good swimmer) and for first timers we'll cover safety, procedures, and fish ID before we get in the water. It's really a lot of fun!

The hatchery is also looking for some help with something unrelated to salmon. We are hoping to produce a brochure by the end of the year. It's a widely-requested item! I'm trying to learn the computer program used to make brochures, but progress is slow. If you are familiar with Adobe InDesign and know how to create a brochure, I'd really appreciate a helping hand.

Thanks!

--
Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
volunteering@seymoursalmon.com

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:29:07 PM by Pat AV »
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 08:59:38 PM »

i did a snorkel survey last year :)
it was so exciting and fun till i hit a submerged rock and cracked one of my ribs :'(
only spotted one steelhead not many in the river that day :-\
i have been on some egg collecting jounts and done some fin clipping, sein netting,  feeding fry and cleaning tanks
all great fun
I have not been able to do much for the hatchery this year (moved house, busy at work and wrong days off)
if anyone can spare some time i would recomend it
great buch of guys\girls up there
keep up the good work ;D