Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 2184 times)

Piranha

Newbie question
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:44:33 AM »

Okay so i bough a dragonfly reel and my question is how does it go on the rod?  :-[

The reel has a break one way "Disc drag system" and if you spin other way it feels much easier.  so would I want to set it up so when casting the line comes out with ease?
but than why would i need to the "disc drag system" when realling in? that doesn't make sense.

or is it the other way

Do I use the drag system for the line going out so the fish gets hooked better? this way it would be more difficult casting but easier reeling in the fish.   :-[
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 11:46:14 AM by Piranha »

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »

Piranha: the fly reel in fly fishing just holds the fly line. Most of the times when you are fly fishing you will not be using the drag system on your reel. Since you have a disc drag on your reel, there will be a knob on the side that allows you to increase the tension on the drag system. You can verify this as the line becomes harder and harder to pull out as the drag is increased. When you hook into a salmon that will become invaluable as the drag system will help you in fighting the fish and landing it. When you take it to the tackle shop you brought it from I am sure they will point that all out to you. Hope this helps.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:49:50 PM »

Like it has been said, list where you are and someone can point you in the right direction of good 'in person' help.

But so you know now, you want the reel et so there is drag when pulling out from the reel. And you don't cast it like other rods, you pull line out then work it out of the rod tip while casting.