Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Report June 26  (Read 1665 times)

Zpg

Sturgeon Report June 26
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »

After looking at the tides for the Lower Fraser I decided to head out late as high tide was going to hit the river late afternoon/early evening today. Started fishing about 11:30 and just after getting my anchor and rod down a large fishing boat approached. As it neared I could see a sigh that it was salmon research vessel. They pulled up along side and asked me to move as they were about to set nets. Of course I agreed and off I went. At least now I know another good spot  for Salmon :) :)

I bounced around for a bit and finally found a spot where the current slowed. Just as I decided to have some lunch, about 1:30, I hit into 3 back to back to back. None of them cleared the water, which surprised me, but they were decent size, 4 1/2'.

After an hour without anything I moved on, back to where I started the day and over the next 2 hours caught 4, all in the 4-5' range except the last one which measured just over 6' and super thick. This one gave me a great 35 minute battle and finally gave my Technium a fish to judge it by (Great Rod). After releasing him boatside, I headed home. Funny thing was that each of the last 4 went airborne and the 6 footer jumped 5 times.

Throughout the day I tried all my baits, oolies, eel and roe but caught every one on Ooligans. I didn't get any little bites or fussy nibbles today, every one was a super aggressive take.

Summary:

Weather: Sunny 24 degrees
Debris: Minimal
Water temp: 55 degrees
Bait: Ooligans

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Sturgeon Report June 26
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:46:57 PM »

Sounds like a good time!   And thanks for the comprehensive report.  A pleasant change.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:49:09 PM »

Great Job ZPG, I was actually thinking about making it out to try again this saturday!!  Nice to hear a report, thanks. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »

What kind of roe were you using? Guess I will have to thaw some oolies after all for Sunday.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Zpg

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:31:10 AM »

What kind of roe were you using? Guess I will have to thaw some oolies after all for Sunday.

Hey Bryan

I am using Chum roe, uncured. I am beginning to wonder if there is an issue with it because I have used roe at least 6 times this year and nothing. Ooligans have been by far my best bait and eel has been a pretty good second but when I put ont he roe...zip. Maybe it's just a fluke?

You still going Sunday? If so good luck!!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »

Now heres a guy that knows how to write a report
nice one
I would love to go Sturg fishing one day
just cant justify buying another rod and reel(my wife thinks i only need one rod and reel to catch all fish) ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:34:26 PM »

Now heres a guy that knows how to write a report
nice one
I would love to go Sturg fishing one day
just cant justify buying another rod and reel(my wife thinks i only need one rod and reel to catch all fish) ;D

Their are guys like me that are always willing to take new guys out. Allot of us already have the boat and gear to accomadate. Just look for posts where we are looking for an anchor puller ER I MEAN new guys to take out ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family