Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson river 6-23/24  (Read 4238 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Thompson river 6-23/24
« on: June 24, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »

Rick and I headed up and met his buddy brian... Glad we don't listen to all the reports about it.. ;)
Rick had 10 or more first night...caught bows, suckers, brook trout and a BIG dolly...his buddy landed the biggest bow I've ever seen out of a river... I got skunked but wouldn't give up my baby spey and to be fair it was awful tough to use in a back eddy that was swirling..only thing I could do was toss a dry and pray...
Sunday we found some water more conducive to the fly...lost a big one off the bat and then landed his little brother..also got a big sucker...Rick got a nice bow and the littlest fish of the trip..

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:02:05 PM by Xgolfman »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Thompson river 6-23/24
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 09:08:13 PM »

Man that was a ton of fun !!! we stayed at a decent hotel Sat night and feasted on Crab I caught the previous night.. we spent two days on an amazing river and saw maybe one other fisherman the whole time, visibility was excellent !! the only problem I can see with the higher water level is there is not that much access to the river... we saw so many great looking runs that we couldn't fish for lack of a place to stand lol ...

My friend Brian landed that beast of a bow on a $50 walmart special coffee grinder and 6 pound line  :)  I believe I caught every species of fish that resides in that river  :) suckers, whitefish , bulltrout , rainbow and a trout that we think was a brookie but we are not too sure.. first fish of Sunday went to Paul on his mini spey and a minnow pattern .. a beauty it was probably in the three pound area !! we fished four parts of the river over a 50 km distance so we got to see quite a bit  ;D ;D

Overall a great weekend that we will have to do again !!!!

Thx again for driving Paul  ;)
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:21:26 PM »

Here are a few pics that I took with my phone when Paul the cameraman wasn't around  :)

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:31:43 PM »

Hey Paul and Rick,havent seen you guys post for a while,how have you guys been,looks like you guys had a blast at the flow,nice pictures.SEE you guys around ;)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 09:33:34 PM »

thanks for the report. Nice MONSTER bow :o! nice pics as well.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »

Hey Paul and Rick,havent seen you guys post for a while,how have you guys been,looks like you guys had a blast at the flow,nice pictures.SEE you guys around ;)

Hey BIG T

I took a break from here for a while, I have been concentrating on Lake fishing and crabbing for the most part, been camping alot too !

How have you been? have you been fishing much ??

TH
Very Nice, Rick and Paul.... You guys ready for the Vedder on opening day ??

Holy **** thats a big bow  :o

Looks like you guys had some fun out there..... was the water still high ??

Hey FishFreak ! when we drove over the Vedder HWY bridge today the water still looks really high and really dirty !! don't think I will be fishing that river for quite some time .. are you planning on heading up??

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:59:17 PM »

Hey BIG T

I took a break from here for a while, I have been concentrating on Lake fishing and crabbing for the most part, been camping alot too !

How have you been? have you been fishing much ??

I havent stop fishing since the vedder,actaully i ran into birdman,freak and BIg Steel while i was fishing today.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 10:09:53 PM »

I was up at the Vedder yesterday taking a look.  Lower high, but shaping up.  The Upper looks good with some prime water in areas.

Great job at the Thompson guys.  Awesome pics and yeah, that is one heck of a nice Bow!!   ;)  ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 12:04:33 AM »

Bastiches!  I'm so jealous I couldn't make it out with you guys this weekend!  On the other hand, I feasted big time at the wedding and smoked a few Cohiba cigars so it wasn't all bad!  Looks like a wicked fun time.  I'm so in, next time!
President Club S. C. & P.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 06:52:52 AM »

Some real fatties come out of there!
Fish killer 101

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 07:51:41 AM »

Some real fatties come out of there!

A few of the fish were fatties !! especially the sucker fish

But aren't you the one that said it was too early to fish the Thompson ??   lol  ::)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 09:09:16 AM »

wasn't it blown out. Seems like you were almost fishing in the trees. but it doesn't matter i guess cus you guys hit the jack pot. I dont like it when the river is this high. 1 because it hard to get a good drift with the FLY!  ;D and 2 it takes an hour to land them if they get into the current. I also dont like fishing now because the springs havent moved up the river, so if the stoneflies and hoppers aren't out you have no back up, with the springs in you can just pop on a glowbug and nail a few. And if the trout are completely off the bit you can just go to a deep run and nail a few brutes. I like it in august for springs because they are still crome, and in september for trout because they are all fat from the hoppers,stoneflies,eggs that are floating down the river.
Fish killer 101

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »

wasn't it blown out. Seems like you were almost fishing in the trees. but it doesn't matter i guess cus you guys hit the jack pot. I dont like it when the river is this high. 1 because it hard to get a good drift with the FLY!  ;D and 2 it takes an hour to land them if they get into the current. I also dont like fishing now because the springs havent moved up the river, so if the stoneflies and hoppers aren't out you have no back up, with the springs in you can just pop on a glowbug and nail a few. And if the trout are completely off the bit you can just go to a deep run and nail a few brutes. I like it in august for springs because they are still crome, and in september for trout because they are all fat from the hoppers,stoneflies,eggs that are floating down the river.

nope! wasn't even close to being blown out ... the river had come down about two meters from the previous week !! water clarity was better than you will ever see on the vedder !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 12:47:28 PM »

Great shots! That one fish is a PIG... Thanks for sharing...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 07:20:24 PM »

Right on guys. I'm headed that way next weekend. Oh how I love chucking those #4 drys.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"