Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly fishing salmon  (Read 12645 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Fly fishing salmon
« on: May 31, 2007, 08:53:09 PM »

Hey guys, i'm wondering if any one has ever fly fished for springs before? How did it go?  What colour/patterns are worth a try?
Fish killer 101

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Fly fishing salmon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:15:05 PM »

All the time. My own patterns.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »

What do these patterns look like? How do u fish them, dead drift?
Fish killer 101

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:39:41 PM »

You can find most of my patterns in the "Compendium Of Canadian Fly Patterns" published by Gale's End Press. I intend to have my wedsite up and running this year and I will have all my flies posted there; with tying intructions and applications.

The list of my patterns you will find in that book are:
Mat Green = Chum
Dec 25 = Chum & Spring
Blue Christmas = Coho
St Nic = Coho
Dolly Whacker = preditor pattern but it also works well for Coho
They also excepted a Pink pattern of mine, but I am no long satisfied with it's performance. If you want to fish Pinks I recomend the Happy Hooker or Randy the Hatch Match'rs pattern

Others I can recomend are;
Coho Blue & Rolled Muddler = Coho

As for fishing these flies, drift and mend works but the wet fly swing works better. Also Coho respond better to a fast retieve.   

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:16:38 PM »

Thanks newsman I will have to look some of those patterns up. I did really well with a merci blue last year. And a fast retrieve works awesome. Got to love it when they smash the fly. Even fun when a jack hits it.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 09:33:21 PM »

Well went out to the seymour and tried out a couple test patterns that i tied up thanks to NEWS MAN and the coho blue and rolled muddler both got a number of follows and a variation of a blue but skunk fly got a follow. I had 1 hit on the rolled muddler but popped off. I need to perfect my flies a little bit more and mabey i can get a couple to take next time
Fish killer 101

SnakeRoll

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 05:35:57 PM »

What do these patterns look like? How do u fish them, dead drift?

use a tom thumb and dead drift it

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 09:24:29 PM »

for salmon, talking a dry fly that has no colour or movement? are u sure!?
Fish killer 101

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 07:46:20 AM »

nuggy its not the fact that i wont try it, but the fact that i dont think a chinook is gonna rise from a deep run to hit a dry fly, coho are another story. And i've spent alot of hours experimenting with steelhead lures and it's always the simple ones that I seem to always go back too. Mabey this dry fly thing will actully work, that would be awsome.
Fish killer 101

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:26 PM »

follows in the seymour......damn those rocks hit hard eh :-\

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »

haahha!
Fish killer 101

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 05:58:55 PM »

It is possible to get Salmon to hit dries if you can activate their stirke trigger as fry they feed on all the trout foods available. Example Stonefly Nymphs for Red Springs.  Tom Johannesen has had great success with his variations of the Pink Pollywog.

The big challenge here is that Salmon stop feeding in fresh water so it is far more effective to trigger their aggression; and thus the reason for all those flamboyant salmon patterns.  I have found that there is a ballance to be met between not enough and how much flash. Not enough the fly gets unnoticed, too much flash and the fish is spooked and gone. Add to this each speicies has a different tolerance level which makes it more interesting.

Bottom line guys each Salmon you get on the fly is an achievement. It's a great game! Have fun guys.  

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »

Bottom line guys each Salmon you get on the fly is an achievement. It's a great game! Have fun guys.  

It is a great game. I got my first salmon on the fly last year and man was it fun. I can't wait till this fall to do it all over again. This time with a new rod.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »

i have never fly fished for salmon and i have a couple questions like...what is the most common technique?...do u always use a float line?....do u use a retrieve ever?....any  other little info/tips would be greatly appriciated.  ;D

Thanks

Michael

Mike D.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 06:15:38 PM »

i have never fly fished for salmon and i have a couple questions like...what is the most common technique?...do u always use a float line?....do u use a retrieve ever?....any  other little info/tips would be greatly appriciated.  ;D

Thanks

Michael

I've only ever fly fished the Fraser & Harrison, so if your regarding the Vedder my post may be of no use to you......well the most common technique depends on what fly line you use....most of the time I use a full sink on the harrison/fraser when fishing coho, chum, pinks,sockeye.....and my method with this is an upriver mend, gets it down to the fish fast!..using a retrieve is a good idea...that way you get the line in and can bomb it back out there.....on your retrive make sure to keep it at a steady pace (depends on fly)...as salmon like to attack on the retrieve some times...if you see a fish chasing your fly...don't stop, keep going at the same pace....if you stop they will get turned off.....remember to always work your way out...sometimes they might be in tight (depends on species) stand on shore, cast short, than work your way out as far as you can go...than walk down river 10 feet and give it a few more shots......should be 4-5 casts a 10 foot section.....thats what I always do...and it works!

Mike <"))))><