Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okanagan River?  (Read 2390 times)

fintail1

• got milt?
Okanagan River?
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:07:41 PM »

im gonna be camping around oliver area in early july and was wondering where to go and what flies/lures work the best on this river.
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

mojoman

• Old Timer
Re: Okanagan River?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 06:24:13 AM »

the river should be down by July...travel #97 north just past Gallager Lake..over the stream bridge...look left about 1 km further...its called the RockFace...some real nice potholes in that section...just be wary of the rattlers in that area...I use my rod case to sweep the ground in front of me...another thought...baby rattlers have no rattles...they are the most dangerous...as for flies...Adams...Tom Thumb etc...for dry's...and micro leetchs Idaho nymph etc for sub surface...good luck...and let us know how ya make out....;))

mojo

ps no idea about lures in the river....I only own fly rods.. ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:37:33 AM by mojoman »
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 07:36:29 AM »

If you don't mind catching bass float with worm always works for me
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:44:32 PM »

in the okanagan, bobber and a worm, just like steely said. Also, if you do a little exploring, you can find some smaller ponds that run into the okanagan which can be awsome for big bass and carp ;). Use a worm for carp, and jib plastic worms for bass. ;)

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »

i will bring my bass flies as well if the trout action is slow, thnx for all the info guys, i fished it last year with only a bass off my rooster tail.  from what ive heard there are actually some big fish in that river, but i also heard that squawfish fight harder than them.
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

float down

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 12:43:50 AM »

ancient secret buddy havent fished the okanagan river since the 80 s but we use to use pink dick nights exclusively for lures along with panther martin five of diamonds...
 for flies doc spratley-royal coachman-black nats-small leaches