Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Como Lake Derby  (Read 2747 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Como Lake Derby
« on: May 26, 2007, 05:01:15 PM »

I know it's a little late but i figured i'd mention the Como Lake fishing derby tomorrow (Sunday). Location is obviously Como Lake, which is restricted to under 16 and over 65 years of age. So those of you with young kids with nothing better to do should make the trip out. There are lots of great prizes donated from many shops in the LML. Its a great event and definate fun for all.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Como Lake Derby
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 08:36:19 PM »

Just to add to what Dion has posted, the derby starts at 7am and finishes at 12pm, when all prizes will be given out.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »

A friend just phoned that was up there and when they went to weight in his kids 4 fish the organizers said they could keep more if they want. I am sorry but what is this teaching the kids. I know it is supposed to be a fun derby but should the regs still not apply.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:48:43 PM by fly_guy »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

TheBaiter

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 04:13:52 PM »

thats the same thing as last year, people were taking BAGS of fish out of the lake

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 04:25:40 PM »

Rember this is a put and take fishery.
And I'm sure they put a little extra in there just for this weekend. :P :-*

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 04:27:51 PM »

Rember this is a put and take fishery.

I know it is and it is also a great place to teach your child how to fish. All I am saying is should the regs not apply.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 04:39:53 PM »

Maybee Rod can help us.

Who has the say in this c/o's or the F.V.T.H, or the event organizer?

cmon Rod, help us out here. ;D this may turn into another bottom bouncing thread. ;D ;) ;)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »

If I knew no one was going to pay attention to the regs I would have entered. :-\ Pretty well got the lake snagging technique down pat as well. Little kid gets in my spot and it's going to get real ugly real fast. >:(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »

1) The provincial freshwater regulations would apply in derbies. The hatchery or derby organization does not have the mandate to set its own quotas that are higher than the quotas in the regulations for the derby participants.

2) Unless there is a formal statement provided by the derby organizer regarding this, there isn't a need for me to comment on it or get worked up on rumours. I am not implying fly guy's friend is not credible, but without knowing who he talked to, it's hard to comment. It could easily have been a volunteer who doesn't know the regulations and the organizers are not aware of the conversation.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »

The person they talked too was the person manning the weigh in station. They went to weigh in his 4 fish the person said  now you still have time to catch more. When the told the person that the limit is only 4 this person said well for this derby don't worry about it it gives you more chances at a prize.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:59:59 PM by fly_guy »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 06:00:12 PM »

So it could be a volunteer who doesn't know better. As an organizer of a similar event, I know how difficult it is to find volunteers and I welcome help from anyone who is interested. It could have been a non-fishing person who's a friend of someone in the organization and decided to help out. Manning the weigh-in station requires minimal amount of fishing knowledge (weigh, read number, record) so it could be a task assigned to an individual who doesn't fish.

Anyways, not defending the derby, but without knowing all the facts, it's hard to comment and in a few days from now, there is a good chance that an email will bounce to me saying "How come our derby does not have the support of your website? Why didn't you put an end to the bashing on your forum?"

If anyone who is concerned and wants to make sure the derby is doing the right thing, email Vance (one of the organizers) at vance.reach@telus.net

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 10:09:53 PM »

Beware Vanch Reach can be a prick. In the fun sort of way. Realize that if he calls you a son of a b*tch you just need to call him that back.  ;D I've learned that after being somewhat offended by him when i first met him.