Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon May 24  (Read 2444 times)

Zpg

Sturgeon May 24
« on: May 25, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »

Decided to head out and give the Fraser a go yesterday even thought the water is a bit high and dirty. It turned out to be a good idea. I fished from 7:30 til about 2 and boated 8 dino's. The largest was just about 6 feet. I only had 1 under 4 feet and all but the small one jumped. The big guy went airborne 3 times including once right beside the boat. I was fishing my usual area below the Stave, trying to find a bit of calm water but that was a bit challenging. Eel was the hot bait yesterday and only managed to get one on the ooligans and it was the small one.

Day Stats:

Sunny - 20C
Water temp - 50F
Debris - Moderate
Bait - Eel & ooligan
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 11:46:31 AM by Zpg »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
Re: Sturgeon May 24
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »

well done any pics
crab cakes

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 05:57:47 PM »

Nice ZPG.  Thanks for the report.  I'll be heading out tomorrow around that general area, hoping to have some similar luck!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:42:17 PM »

Good day indeed! I want a Dino  8)
The Bigger The Better!

Zpg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 06:47:38 PM »

Nice ZPG.  Thanks for the report.  I'll be heading out tomorrow around that general area, hoping to have some similar luck!! ;)

Give 'em hell BS!!! Hope you give your Technium a solid workout. Do you have some eel??
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Zpg

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 06:50:29 PM »

well done any pics

Thanks! As for pics, I decided after taking about 40 pics earlier in the season that I was only going to photo 7'+ and release everything else without bringing them into the boat. I have enough pics and a gentle release is better for the fish. When I finally do get my 7 footer I'll definately post pics!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »

Give 'em hell BS!!! Hope you give your Technium a solid workout. Do you have some eel??
Don't have any eel.  :'(  Those buggars are pricey.  But I may break done and get some.  How was the debrie out there today?
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 09:40:31 PM »

Good report. ;)
Was that Lamprey you were using ?

Zpg

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 10:47:57 PM »

Don't have any eel.  :'(  Those buggars are pricey.  But I may break done and get some.  How was the debrie out there today?

The debris was pretty low, surprisingly. There are still quite a few larger trees floating by but not too much of the smaller prop killers. Have a great day on the water.

Zpg

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 10:50:21 PM »

Good report. ;)
Was that Lamprey you were using ?

It was indeed lamprey. I cut the lamprey into 3 or 4 pieces depending on size and then cut those pieces in half lenghtwise. I find doing this prevents the bait from rolling and of course releases more scent.

Hook Set

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 10:52:59 PM »

Great job Zpg and nice report as usual. Hoping to get my first dino soon  :)