Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm thinking of selling one of my 9' alum. Harborcraft flyfisher boats  (Read 12660 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer

This really isn't a Buy and Sell item yet but it soon may be.

I'm thinking about selling one of my 9' aluminum Harborcraft Flyfisher jon boats. I love these boats as a single person fishing craft. For what I do, they are far superior and practical to pontoons, tubes or even a 12' aluminum. I really appreciate not having to always wear waders and the ability to stand up and cast, strech or take a leak while fishing in my little boat. I have two along with a regular a 12' aluminum. I've got too much aluminum around the house.

My thoughts were to pimp out one boat by pulling the center bench out of one of the jons and put in a 2" foam, plywood and carpet floor with a pedestal seat. Maybe that's the way to go.

I would like to keep the one original and try running my 8hp. Yami outboard on it. That should be enough to get me across Pegleg in the Fraser.

Or do I just sell one or trade one for something like a 15hp outboard motor for the 12'er.

Decisions...decisions.

Maybe someone can help me quickly decide with an offer or suggestion.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Buy that big boat you were talking about ;)

For a lake boat I like the idea of getting the pedestal seat and pimping it out. I am pimping out good ole froggy  :) Going to carpet it in the near future and the finder is coming in another week or so.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rieber

• Old Timer

BB - I'm still not working.  :'(

Go figure, I sell my sweet little ride with the thought of waiting until Spring to upgrade and low and behold, out of work and no extra coins for big toys.

Please try not to piss yourselves this year if you see this 300-lb. guy in a 9' jon boat using a small outboard and a set of oars trying to get up the Fraser in July. Oh, just a thought, how am I going to net my 30+ Spring in a 9' boat when I have an 11' rod and a 15' leader. Maybe I need to rethink this and either get a job or a bar rod.

Either way, I may have to drop in at Island 22 and head downstream to Grassy. Then call my wife once I get my fish, to pick me up in the van at Old Orchard to drive me back and the boat back up to Island 22 to pick up the truck.

It might be tough going some days but I'm crazy enough to do it. Remember I stuck a 100hp Merc on a little 16' aluminum.  ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer

BB - thinking about a carbet in your froggy - you might want to build a light flat slat floor secured in your boat and then cover it with carpet. You don't need to loose too much depth even a small or narrow flat floor would be safer than a carpet in a wet plastic half pipe.

Just a though.

Actually you can make the flat floor build up or casting platform between the seats so you dont loose your leg space/depth for trolling comfort.

passion

ok  sent a email  lets talk  and do business!!
FISHING IS THE TRUE PASSION ?

Rieber

• Old Timer

Passion, did you get the pictures I sent you?

bentrod

• Old Timer

I'd melt them all down and make a big one ;D

Actually, for me, the perfect world is the following:
one 20' boat, (aluminum)
one 10-12' boat (aluminum)
one pontoon
2 pair of waders, one cold weather and one breathable. 

I have all but the 10-12' boat. 

Lumps

I'd melt them all down and make a big one ;D

Actually, for me, the perfect world is the following:
one 20' boat, (aluminum)
one 10-12' boat (aluminum)
one pontoon
2 pair of waders, one cold weather and one breathable. 

I have all but the 10-12' boat. 
Get a spratley, the best out there I think.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

Rieber

• Old Timer

Right Lumps. Have you ever tried lifting a Spratley by yourself into the back of a 4x4. Try their 12'er and you'll pop a nut.

Even their 10' is damn heavy but they are a very well built boat.

Also their load capacity is lower than the similar sized Harbercraft.

I like their pedestal seat model but their not too keen on making their 10' wide with the pedestal. So too bad - I won't buy it.

I'll have to make my own.

Rieber

• Old Timer

Anyways, I'm showing this boat tomorrow and it's pretty much sold.

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: I'm thinking of selling one of my 9' alum. Harborcraft flyfisher boats
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 11:42:41 AM »

I sold it this morning. I guess my mind is made up. Now to pimp out my other one

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 12:31:01 PM »

Rieber,
You may want to re-think about your pimp'in mods, because the center bench seat may serve to keep the structural integrity and shape of your boat ;D  Those Harbourcraft fly fishers as I recall is a rivetted type boat that does not have any ribs along the floor, therefore the seats are need to retain its shape  :P The removal of the seat may cause unecessary flexing of the sides, which may affect the rivets.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 05:50:18 PM »

I'm aware of the effects of modifications. My floor is ribbed so are the sides. I would also appropriately reinforce where required. Dont forget I'm putting in a floor and the way I'll be doing it will add considerable strength to the boat. No worries here at all.

Lumps

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 06:25:17 PM »

Right Lumps. Have you ever tried lifting a Spratley by yourself into the back of a 4x4. Try their 12'er and you'll pop a nut.

Even their 10' is damn heavy but they are a very well built boat.

Also their load capacity is lower than the similar sized Harbercraft.

I like their pedestal seat model but their not too keen on making their 10' wide with the pedestal. So too bad - I won't buy it.

I'll have to make my own.

I have a 12' Spratley and yes its heavy, but its all technique man you need to lift with your knees not your back. The reason there so heavy is an all weld boat. There isn't to many 12' boats out there that are a 1 man operation. The Spratley is the sturdiest boat out there by far, you can put 2 guys on one side that are both 200 lbs plus and be totally safe.

The Harbercraft flyfisher is a different boat, it's rivet built and of course a lot lighter, but its more a one man boat or a glorified canoe.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 10:30:13 PM »

Exactly Lumps. THe Spratley is a Cadillac - that's for sure. But as for weight it's a tank.

And yes the 9' harbercraft really is a one man boat. That's the way I like it.

I have a 12' for two people.