Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon April 11  (Read 1737 times)

Zpg

Sturgeon April 11
« on: April 11, 2007, 04:45:48 PM »

So much for "first light". After a few too many wobbly pops after my hockey game last night I slept through my 5 am alarm :D  Got to the river for 8:00 though and had my first fish 5 minutes later, a nice chubby 5 footer. Didn't get my next one until 10:30, another fat 5 footer. Both put up a good battle. Then from 10:30 til 2 boated 4 more all about 4'. Then it happened...I hooked into a big boy. I almost went overboard setting the hook because as I pulled back it took off almost pulling me in. I fought it for about 5 minutes and out pops the hook >:( ...yeah yeah I know....let me put this here for all of you ::)

On a more pleasant note, 2 of the 4 footers launched completely out of the water. These were the first ones I've had do that this year.

Day Stats:
Partly cloudy
Water temp: 45.5, up 2 degrees from Friday
minimal debris
ooligans
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:51:22 PM by Zpg »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

roeman

Re: Sturgeon April 11
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:22:17 PM »

That is a good sign with the water getting warmer, they tend to like the fresh air as the water warms up.
When you say a bucket of ooligans, does that mean you found someone with fresh ones, or are you just thawing them out?
Cheers
Are you fishin or catchin

Zpg

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »

That is a good sign with the water getting warmer, they tend to like the fresh air as the water warms up.
When you say a bucket of ooligans, does that mean you found someone with fresh ones, or are you just thawing them out?
Cheers

bucket of oolies was just a figure of speech....whish I had buckets though! I am still using the oolies from Berrys or Steveston.  However.... I have contacted a fisherman in Anchorage Alaska where there are millions of oolies running int he rivers now and he is looking into what it would take to send me 200lbs. I have asked him to price bulk frozen and packaged. I'm not holding my breath but it can't hurt to hope.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:04:32 PM »

Great report, thanks again Zpg.  I am hoping to get out there again sometime soon and finally hook one on my New Technium.  Feels good and looks good on the hits so far though.... ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

charles

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:25:51 AM »

You are so lucky...

I only have the chance to fish sturgeon on the shore so that means wait all day for 1 or 2 fish...  And they are no where close to 6 footer :)