Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon April 6  (Read 3967 times)

Zpg

Sturgeon April 6
« on: April 06, 2007, 08:03:26 PM »

The day started out at 7:15 on the water and at 9 we still didn't even have a nibble. Although this spot was good the last couple of times we headed off to try our luck elsewhere. Turned out to be a good idea. We managed to catch a bunch in the next hour or so but all of them were small 3-4'. The rest of the day was pretty much bite on for a while then nothing for a while. There were lots of nibbles but few hookups. Me thinks there were a lot of real little guys down there. Later in the day just as we were contemplating leaving we hooked into 4 decent ones, 2 at about 4 1/2 but still fairly skinny and a nice fat one around 5' that put up a great battle for my buddy Chris.

In addition to the good day fishing it was great to meet up with a couple of the forum guys and put faces to the names :) :) :) Look forward to fishing with you guys again sometime.

Day Stats:

Sunny
no wind
water temp 43.5
very little debris
Bait - ooligans                         
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:05:32 PM by Zpg »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Sturgeon April 6
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:08:56 PM »

awsome report once again!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Mike D.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:13:29 PM »

I managed a big fat 7 footer today reely fat..weighed about 300lbs or more!...along with a 4 1/2 footer...bait of choice...CHICKEN!  :-*

Mike <"))))))><

Zpg

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:24:17 PM »

I managed a big fat 7 footer today reely fat..weighed about 300lbs or more!...along with a 4 1/2 footer...bait of choice...CHICKEN!  :-*

Mike <"))))))><

WTG :o that must have been an awesome fight! Were you in a boat or shore fishing? My fishing buddy today was asking me about chicken and I didn't think it would be that good as it doesn't have a lot of scent....shows what I know! Besides it's way cheaper than oolies! LOL
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47:43 PM »

Nice!
President Club S. C. & P.

Mike D.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:01:19 PM »

Fished from a boat today....the fight was about 30minutes I gave it all I had...a few quick pics and released! beauty! ya chicken works like a damn..especially drum sticks/legs!  but I only ever get 2 of those per chicken  ;D....and I only had one chicken.... :-\ I have pics..but I am not posting them up on here! she was soo heavy 2 of us could only lift it half way out of the water!!! fat fat fat!

Mike <")))))))><

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 10:33:10 PM »

Chicken? Who eats more you or the sturgeon?  :D Nice Fish zpg when can I come....   ;)
The Bigger The Better!

Zpg

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:44:51 AM »

ZPG i was one of the guys anchored beside you today in the red shirt, we didnt have as much luck as you did today, it was nice talking to you and your buddy, I managed a hook up and it got off soon after, sure was allot of them jumping this morning was pretty cool to see

When we anchored up first thing this morning, a decent sized one jumped right beside our boat. I was quite surprised because I hadn't seen any surface so far this year. That is a great sign...water is warming and pretty soon they will be jumping when hooked. Nothing like seeing a big sturgeon getting air!

I thought that was you in the boat...recognized you by your pics! Look forward to fishing with you one day.

hawg hunter

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 12:32:03 PM »

Hey Fishfreak, was that you in the white and green boat with the two other guys? I think I saw you around 3:00. I was in the Lund with the wife and kids. You were standing with red t shirt?
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

hawg hunter

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 12:54:44 PM »

I thought it was you. I should have pulled up and said hi but didn't want to in case it wasn't. We only fishied for a couple of hours. The wife was being helpful and threw the anchor over but failed to notice it was not tied down. :-[ Turned out to be a show stopper. I am going to look at my schedule at work and see if I can get out again mid week. Even if it has to be an evening. PM me and we can see if we can get out.
We only had a couple of nibbles. Saw two others caught. One right by the guys right beside us. Was probably the smallest sturgeon I have seen. Having said that, it is a good sign to see small ones!
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 01:33:43 PM »

Fished from a boat today....the fight was about 30minutes I gave it all I had...a few quick pics and released! beauty! ya chicken works like a damn..especially drum sticks/legs!  but I only ever get 2 of those per chicken  ;D....and I only had one chicken.... :-\ I have pics..but I am not posting them up on here! she was soo heavy 2 of us could only lift it half way out of the water!!! fat fat fat!

Mike <")))))))><

Why wouldnt you post a pic of it, its just a sturgeon , we have all seen them

People don't post pictures for the reason that they get hassled for everything. "It's bleeding" "Your not holding it properly" "You shouldn't have brought it on the boat" and so forth. He decided not to post it leave him alone.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »

WE GOT 3 TO THE BOAT, NOTHING OVER 3.5 FEET THOUGH  :(

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »

Got 3 to the boat today. A 3 footer, a 5 footer that was VERY FAT, and a 6.5 footer. All on roe. They would would just hit the oolie and run never comitting.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 04:24:23 PM »

PICTURES............LET'S GO !

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 04:40:26 PM »

PICTURES............LET'S GO !

Where are your pictures LETS GO!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family