Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: April 4 Sturgeon Report  (Read 3936 times)

Zpg

April 4 Sturgeon Report
« on: April 04, 2007, 03:48:19 PM »

Well the alarm went off at 5 and I was in fishing at 7. Bloody cold but the anticipation of another 12 fish day kept me warm. After the first hour I had a couple nibbles but missed hooking up....little did I know this would become the theme for the day! Over the next hour I managed to boat 2 little guys, the sturgeon equivalent of the northern pike "hammer handle", as shown..

Then things got really crappy. The bite today was super light and I must have missed at least 10 and was fishing like a chimp. I was beginning to wonder if I had crap bait because the fish would nibble and leave before I even had a chance to grab the rod. I found out later this batch of oolies I had were from last year  >:( >:( >:(

Around 11 I managed to get into a 4  1/2 footer and that was it until 1:00 when I got my last and largest fish, about 5 feet. For the size it put up a fantastic fight that lasted about 15 mins.

I think the only reason I didn't miss this one was he hooked himself by engulfing the bait!

I hit a few holes on the way back to the dock but , as you may have guessed missed a few more...  Finally got too tired to haul up the anchor anymore so i called it a day at 2:30. All in all though not a bad day.

Specs:
Water temp 43 degrees
Very little debris today
Fished from the Stave and down river to Queenship
used oolies
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:10:12 PM by Zpg »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: April 4 Sturgeon Report
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:06:42 PM »

Good to hear. Now that I know they are biting and that I have THIS years oolies I will be sturgeon fishing Friday and Sunday  ;D Maybe I will see you out there. If you see a green and white 16 foot aluminum with green top come by and introduce yourself. I will probably be fishing with some goons LOL

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Hook Set

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:34:38 PM »

Nice fish Zpg. Nice to be out on the water even if it wasn't the most productive day :)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »

awsome report once again!     
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:00:17 PM »

Great Job Zpg.  Yeah stop by Bryan's boat if you see it, I'll be one of the "Goons"!!!! :P ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Zpg

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:32:46 PM »

I'll keep an eye out for you guys but if I don't see you, hope you catch a ton!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:57:50 PM »

GOOD STUFF, THE VAGINA STRIKES AGAIN  ;D I MISSED THE TIDE THIS MORNING SO I NEVER ENDED UP GOING OUT !

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 07:14:06 PM »

GOOD STUFF, THE VAGINA STRIKES AGAIN  ;D I MISSED THE TIDE THIS MORNING SO I NEVER ENDED UP GOING OUT !
So you still went fishin' ;D ;D

But lets see some pics BONK :o :o

Zpg

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »

LOL! You can't tell but for the last pic I remembered to remove the Vag. Oh, and by the way thanks for making that reference, now every time I go to put it on I think, Yup i'm wearing a vagina... :)

tnt

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 08:01:15 PM »

zpg tie your oolies into bags you get 3 bags per oolies and way more hookups, bait will last a lot longer and if you miss a fish odds are your bait is still there.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:04 PM »

zpg tie your oolies into bags you get 3 bags per oolies and way more hookups, bait will last a lot longer and if you miss a fish odds are your bait is still there.

Never used them in bags before. How do you cut them up to put them into sacs? Thinking this could be a good idea as chopping them up could bring out more scent.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Zpg

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 08:19:51 PM »

Never used them in bags before. How do you cut them up to put them into sacs? Thinking this could be a good idea as chopping them up could bring out more scent.

I was just reading this as you wrote this and I am wondering the same thing. Sounds intriguing. TnT please explain your method. Thanks.

fishman1

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 08:20:20 PM »

Hey guys, I normally launch my boat in at the Fort Langley launch.  Is there one closer to the Stave mouth or ????

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »

Cut the bait with scissors so that a mesh square can be compleatly pulled over it. ty it up with spider thread and then wrap it to the hook.

Zpg

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 08:41:37 PM »

Cut the bait with scissors so that a mesh square can be compleatly pulled over it. ty it up with spider thread and then wrap it to the hook.

Chopped oolie instead of roe. Makes perfect sense. I'll definitely give it a go on Friday. Thanks Dion