Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A fishless....but incredibly fun and interesting day!!  (Read 1488 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
A fishless....but incredibly fun and interesting day!!
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »

Woke up real early, like 4:30 am.....  Yeah. :D  Got my gear together and realized that 5 min later I was done.  Man, I can get everything I need for fly fishing ready real quick compared to gear fishing.  Anyhow, headed downstairs to meet up with Freak and we were on our way to pick up out mentor for the day!! ;D  At 6 am sharp, pulled into Floon's place and shortly after that we were on our way to Fly fish a river that 2 of us have never fly fished before, in fact, one of us...(me) had never fly fished a river before. :D
  So after a couple of pit stops, we got to our first location.  That was fun, casting from under a bridge, did ok, Floon worked it real good, we just stayed out of his way and tried to get some decent casts out.  The count for far, for me, one tree and for Freak, one cable. ;D Got all un-tangled and decided to take a shot of the "Weapon" sitting in a tree!

So after that I sat back and watched the pros for a bit, but no fish were to be had there.  After discussing a battle plan, we headed to another system, one that was more friendly to back casts. ;D

Got there and man the water looked awesome.  Didn't get any pics of it as we were so excited to get down.  Did get "the pic" of the drift wood/ Rod and reel shot though. ;D

After that we made a bee line for that beauty piece of water and wasn't really paying attention and walked right into some quicksand.  I sunk up past my knees, the same for Freak, but for some reason Floon didn't sink at all... ??? ;D ;D
  Anyhow, we got dug out of there and continued on our way.  Floon gave us a couple quick lessons on mending and working the water, then we went at it.  While Floon and Freak were working on section, I wondered up river and found a paice of water that I felt comfortable with, made a couple real nice casts......  nothing.  Then.... my casting went to the bird's. ;D  So I kept flogging it finally got some nice casts out again, but to no avail.  After working my way down the run, Floon and Freak were headed my way, so I sat back talked with Floon for a bit, and got some more tips. ;D  Stayed there for a while longer, now doing a lot more casting than actually fishing, trying to work out some kinks.  To make a long story short...  I need a lot more practice, but at least I know what I have to work on in the future.  Freak seemed like he was getting a good feel for it at that point as well.  After a couple more lessons, and no fish, we decided to got exploring.  Got this nice pic while doing so..

After a lot of looking and it was getting on in the day, we decided to head home.  Even the ride home was eventful, not only for the stories and laughs (mostly at the snoring coming out of the back seat... ;D but because of this... ::)

So after much digging around in the body panels of the Exploder to no avail, decided to put out the manual and what would you know....  The other piece of the jack we needed to get the spare tire off the bottom of the damned thing was hidden under the carpet behind the rear seat. ;D  So out came everything and we got to it.

Put Freak on camera detail and he took a couple of other real nice pics while the auto work was in process, so here is one of them as well, since there are a lot of pics in this post anyways!! :D

Got back on the road quickly after the rotten tire thing, and again headed home.  So in summery, no fish... ;D  Lot's of laughs and tips, which was great, a tire change.  Was a great day, looking forward to getting out there again.  The scenery was incredible, the company was the same.  Thanks guys for a memorable!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 09:50:29 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Zpg

Re: A fishless....but incredibly fun and interesting day!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 10:12:56 PM »

Great report! Thanks for the bedtime read. Sorry you guys got into no fish though but it is amazingly beautiful up there.

P.S. how many fly fishermen does it take to change a flat ;D
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 10:22:54 PM »

Sounds like you guys got out for a good trip. Learning from Floon is a good thing as he knows his stuff. He's a good guy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 10:44:45 PM »

thanks for the report! sounds like a fun trip ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:13:09 AM »

Really nice pics, looks like you guys had fun.. cept for the flat tire :-\
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »

Nice pictures,sounds like you guys had a good blast over there,too bad about the flat.