Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Great Sturgeon Day  (Read 4122 times)

Zpg

Great Sturgeon Day
« on: March 30, 2007, 07:41:05 PM »

Left the house this morning at 6:45 and was fishing at 7:45. I was fishing alone today as I couldn't coax anybody to join me. Had my first fish 5 minutes later and it turned out to be the big boy of the day.  Way too big to bring on board my 14' runabout but I measured it beside the boat and it was over 6'. This pic doesn't do it justice as there is nothing for reference:

Over the next 3 hours I landed 11 more, most in the 4-5' range. I realized how difficult it is trying to man the rods, push debris from the anchor line and take a photo or two....will have to re-think heading out alone for Sturgeon.

The bait of the day was definitely Ooligans but did have some success on lamprey eel when I ran out of oolies. There was a ton of debris today but the winds were low so overall a great day on the water.

Here are a few more photo's of the fish I decided to bring aboard for a pic.:

This one is funny....I couldn't believe the little guy got the whole roe sac in his mouth!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:12:39 AM by Zpg »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Great Sturgeon Day
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:55:38 PM »

Nothing wrong with those pictures. Nice sturgeons.

Hook Set

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »

Nice sturgeon. Hoping to get my first this year. :)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:20:52 PM »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 01:47:59 AM »

WOW that water is beautiful. Looks and sounds like it was a great day out there. You look to be in about my area of fishing. Maybe i'll go out tomorrow evening.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 07:58:54 AM »

Beautiful sturgeon a great job.  Got a qestion though, I have been on the river in variuos spots all week, and the Fraser from what I have seen in is running pretty much brown with little to no vis.  So, my question is, are you sure this was from yesterday?
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Zpg

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 09:07:11 AM »

Beautiful sturgeon a great job.  Got a qestion though, I have been on the river in variuos spots all week, and the Fraser from what I have seen in is running pretty much brown with little to no vis.  So, my question is, are you sure this was from yesterday?

Absolutely yesterday, but you are right, the water everywhere is that light muddy brown with zip for visibility. The water is greener here because I was fishing just down of the Stave under the powerlines and about 60' from the log booms. I ventured out about another 50' from where these pics were taken and I could see the greener Stave water mixing with the muddy Fraser. The first pic is a bit deceiving I think because it looks very green but visibility at this spot was only  about a foot. Better than the main river but not a lot. I think things must have been slow all over the river because when I arrived there wasn't another boat in sight and by 11:00am there must have been a dozen boats between me and Queenship.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:41:07 AM by Zpg »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 09:32:33 AM »

Awsome pics!!!!  Sounds like a blast
weeeeeeeeeow!

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »

I C UR SPORTING THE "VAGINA" LOL

:D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:59:17 AM by CAPTAIN BONK »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 10:42:54 AM »

I am in Campbell River right now so I cant get out this weekend. I will be out next weekend for atleast one day of sturgeon. I will have 3 fishing days next weekend and I cant wait. Those pics have me looking forward to next weekend.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 10:48:08 AM »

ALLWAYS FISHING AND MYSELF WENT OUT ON TUES AND WED, GOT INTO ABOUT 5 FISH WITH THE BIGGEST ONE BEING ABOUT 4.5 FEET, ALL ON OOLIES !

Zpg

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »

I C UR SPORTING THE "VAGING" LOL

:D

Yeah I know it looks a bit ridiculous but after taking the butt of the rod in the "Yamaguchi's" :'( (reference to Bret Hedican unfortunate injury) last year, I decided this was a nice alternative.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 11:00:53 AM »

LOL, I SPELT IT WRONG THE FIRST TIME, THE "VAGINA" IS A WONDERFULL THING, ESPECIALLY WHEN U GET IN2 THOSE 5 + FOOTERS !

Zpg

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »

LOL, I SPELT IT WRONG THE FIRST TIME, THE "VAGINA" IS A WONDERFULL THING, ESPECIALLY WHEN U GET IN2 THOSE 5 + FOOTERS !

:D :D I thought that's what you meant

Zpg

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 11:57:38 AM »

I am in Campbell River right now so I cant get out this weekend. I will be out next weekend for atleast one day of sturgeon. I will have 3 fishing days next weekend and I cant wait. Those pics have me looking forward to next weekend.

Hey BB

Have a great time out sturgeon fishing.... bring lots of oolies and post a report if you get a chance. However you decide to fill the other 2 days good luck.