Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: baitcasting reel techniques...  (Read 5052 times)

slamman190

• here fishy fishy fishy...
    • Dan's Blog
baitcasting reel techniques...
« on: March 28, 2007, 10:50:12 PM »

I am a novice fisherman, and I will be the first to admit it.  So tonight I was out at mill lake more for practice than fishing.  I was using a quantam baitcasting reel for the first time, and man that takes some getting used to.  I think I did more untangling than casting :D  Up till now I have just been using a spinning reel.

I tried using my thumb to stop the line, as well as using the crank.  Is there a preferred method, cause either way I had mixed results... 

Are there any good tips out there as to how to get consistent casts, or is it something that just takes a lot of practice?

For some reason, I seem to think I may have a few more rats nests in my future     ;D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: baitcasting reel techniques...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:05:14 PM »

First thing-there's a spool control button/cast control on the side of the reel-holding the rod up with your lure attached and the thumbar depressed adjust the button/cast control until the lure just falls slowly to ground.

Now when you cast use your thumb not as a brake at the end of the cast  but to 'feather' the line as it comes off the spool-you should be just grazing the spool as it spins (until you get a lot better anyway).

By using your thumb to slow the cast down some before the lure hits the water you'll eliminate some of the probs you're having.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:11:15 AM »

Use your thumb to stop the spool before your line hits the water to prevent overruns.  I only engage the crank when I want to reel in some line and I use my thumb to set the hook and feather the spool on drifts / casting.  Try using larger weights as it takes more practice to cast light lures (and a proper weight rod and small baitcaster (shallow, narrow spool) helps too for the light stuff).  Start off with your cast control fairly tight like Sam suggests then loosen it up some to gain some distance as you get the hang of feathering your spool to prevent overruns.  It takes a bit to get used to a baitcaster but once you get used to it you will most likely rarely fish your spinning reels because a baitcaster offers so much more control, especially on the flow.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 12:46:10 AM »

Strip 15 feet of line from your spool, place a piece of masking tape on your spool, then rewind the 15 feet of line back onto your spool. The masking tape prevents you from getting a monster backlash. Now practice your casting. Nice and easy to start. Once you get the hang of casting the 15 feet, either get rid of the tape or strip more line and tape it again.

Lumps

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 02:54:12 AM »

Take 2 weeks off, then quit!  Kidding! Its like hitting a golf ball, takes lots of practice, don't be discouraged.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

JiG_Head

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:16:14 AM »

get a daiwa :)

is your quantum a lp bait reel or a round bait reel?

im also a newb... but i have no problems casting low profiles...

is the size/weight of the round ones that i slip on the releases
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 06:20:03 AM by JiG_Head »
the shyt talker.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 06:25:02 AM »

one good tip when learning to cast is to over weight things.  If you are fishing a small pond and only need 1 split shot but are new to a baitcaster, put on 2 or 3.  the added weight will allow you to be heavy with your thumb in what sam described as feathering the spool as your gear is in flight...I think this spool control is the tricky part and like I said, if you add extra weight you will have an easier time.

Keep in mind too that if I am fishing trout with small baits, you dont need a baitcaster, I would fish a spinning rod.  even for coho when we are throwing small spinners and spoons or jigs I will go to a spinning rod.  Don't think that a baitcaster is better than a spinning rod...they have different applications where they both excel.

slamman190

• Dan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 05:42:42 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys, Hopefully I can find some more time to get out and put the tips to use.

One of these days I'll get it, one of these days...

slamman190

• Dan's Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 05:49:51 PM »

Jig head,

I don't what the difference is between the lp and the round reels....

All I know is that it is a Quantum Iron IR4CWL, with 4 bearings.  It is several years old, but has been very lightly used.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 11:34:12 AM »

that Quantum is a round reel (it has round sideplates).  Lp=low profile reels do not have round side plates and generally sit lower on your rod.  Most lowprofile lures are good at casting lighter weights because they are generally smaller reels with a narrow/ shallow spool compared to the larger round reels like the one you have.  That said there are also small round reels made for casting ligh lures.  The size of reel you have is a good all around size for various fisheries but it is not designed to cast light lures a good distance.
And Jighead is right in that the daiwas make it easy not to birdnest with their magforce braking.

JiG_Head

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 12:34:41 AM »

one 1 more thing... try to reel in till the levelwind is in the middle... if kept 2  1side.... it may cause off speeds which turns into birdnests.
the shyt talker.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »

One other last thing.  Make sure your reel is properly spooled with enough line.  Less line on the spool = harder to cast.
President Club S. C. & P.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »

Use 30 lbs plus test and 3 to 5 ounce bouncing betty casting on a field to practice. Easier to thumb (tape your thumb ;)) and more forgiving to untangle. Use cheap line like you find in dollar stores, put it in the garbage after your done with it... You'll be ready for the Sockeye. Add 25 ft leader and small nail when your better at casting....again cheap line, then into the garbage when line is all twisted. Probably better to use a heavy weight(8ounce plus) and a seal's head as a target to get your aim better as well. Thats what I did.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

slamman190

• Dan's Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 07:14:13 PM »

hmm, the more tips I get the more it seems like this is gonna take a lot of practice to get down pat. :P
  Better get to it...

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 12:21:04 AM »

one 1 more thing... try to reel in till the levelwind is in the middle... if kept 2  1side.... it may cause off speeds which turns into birdnests.

That depends on if the reel has a disengaging levelwind or a non-disengaging levelwind (tracks back and forth on the cast). It doesn't apply to the latter.