Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ford F 150.. .. Air Conditioning  (Read 2535 times)

Dragnet

Ford F 150.. .. Air Conditioning
« on: February 05, 2007, 07:42:04 PM »

Can anyone tell me if you have to recharge your air conditioning from time to time and if so what does it entail.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Troy_604

Re: Ford F 150.. .. Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:45:39 PM »

yeah some times you have to get them recharged (my truck needs it too).  i think the stuff is called like, freyon or somthing that they refill.  i think i heard once that your not supposed to recharge air conditioning systems, because its bad for the enviroment, but some shops do it anyways :-\  i could be wrong tho

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »

all vehicles made after 1990 I believe use a product called R12, Freon is no longer allowed as it is not environmentally friendly... R12 is safe and any dealer will be able to refill the system, however it is not cheap... expect a bill of at least $200 .. if you're car is from before the 90's they will have to change the whole system over before it can be filled with R12.. in this case you are looking at thousands of dollars :-[

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

island boy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »

i heard if you go down over the border it is alot cheaper.
you kill it, you clean it.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 08:59:31 PM »

all vehicles made after 1990 I believe use a product called R12, Freon is no longer allowed as it is not environmentally friendly... R12 is safe and any dealer will be able to refill the system, however it is not cheap... expect a bill of at least $200 .. if you're car is from before the 90's they will have to change the whole system over before it can be filled with R12.. in this case you are looking at thousands of dollars :-[

Vehicle made before 1992 used R12 freon.After 1994 all vehicle came with R134 system,(is for environmentally freindly)..

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 09:11:13 PM »

Vehicle made before 1992 used R12 freon.After 1994 all vehicle came with R134 system,(is for environmentally freindly)..

Ok I knew it was something like that :)
I should have done a internet search like Big T first  ;) ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 09:18:44 PM »

I dont think BIGT did a search Rick... He does it for a living
I don't to hi jack this thread anymore but .....  FishFreak you are a Dork !!!! I know he does it for a living and I was making a JOKE!!!!
hence the smilies !!!!    ;D ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 09:45:37 PM »

Can anyone tell me if you have to recharge your air conditioning from time to time and if so what does it entail.  Thanks for the help in advance.
If it is my own vehicle ,i only charge the a/c system when it is not cold,like i said if your vehicle is older than 1992,than you have to do a a/c modification from R12 to R134 system,they use difference size of filler valve.
A quick self test on your own a/c system is the check is it the a/c compressor kicking in too often,if it is ,it means your froen is low in the system.Or to check the a/c compressor is actually kick in when you turn on the a/c sysetm etc......Just try to help out

ea187

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 11:04:16 PM »

R12 can no longer be used and if you need to recharge an R12 system you have to get it converted to R134a.  R12 works much better but is a lot worse for the environment.  if you know some who can get you R12 for an older car then do it  ;)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:26:23 AM »

I suppose it is all relative, but it is hard for me to accept that anyone actually needs air conditioning in BC.  About cheaper "south of the border":  I haven't heard of people doing this for some time, but some people used to go to Mexico to have systems recharged with freon.