Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alouette River Cleanup - Success  (Read 6071 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Alouette River Cleanup - Success
« on: January 27, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »

So everyone met this morning at 8am. Dr.Hook arrived with fresh coffee and donuts from Tim Hortons ( Thanks very much my friend ) About 20 people from FishBC,FWR, FlyBC and BC Fishing Reports as well as the 1st Laity View Cub Scouts all were involved in today's cleanup. Thanks to the Cub Scouts for attending and cleaning up Maple Ridge Park. We got garbage bags from Adopt A Block so thanks to them for the donation of bags.

So after everyone arrived and got acquainted I assigned people to sections of the river for the cleanup. My group consisted of myself, Dr.Hook and Randofish. We cleaned up our area which was not as bad as we had anticipated which was a nice surprise. Most of the garbage we had collected was on the road side from what I assumed were people throwing things out of car windows. We did get a tire and a BBQ which I had already known about.

So we met everyone back at the park just before noon. I found out that others had found much more garbage than we had. Everyone did a great job in cleaning their sections of the river and I want to thank them for a job well done. After we piled up the garbage a photographer from the Maple Ridge News showed up and took some photos of the garbage and asked me some questions. I will post the article once it comes out.

Shortly after that the President of A.R.M.S. ( Alouette River Management Society ) showed up and discussed our cleanup. He was praising how he really appreciated what we were doing for this river and the community. At the end of our discussion he offered me a position on the board. I graciously accepted and was honoured to be asked. Having a person representing the sport fishermen on the board is an honour and I will not let anyone down.

We than proceeded to have lunch. We had some hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, smoked salmon, chips, and refreshments. Thanks to everyone who donated food and drinks as well as the plated, and utensils. We all got to BS with one another and share some good food. I truly enjoyed myself and look forward to the next cleanup. Everyone should give themselves a pat on the back for a job well done. I hope to see you all back for the next cleanup and hope to see some new faces as well.

GOOD JOB AND THANKS TO EVERYONE

Here are some photos from today ( If you took some photos from today please e-mail them to me at bbronswyk@shaw.ca )

The Cleanup Group & Garbage

The Garbage

A shot of the river where we cleaned up

Some Food

The Grill Master ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Alouette River Cleanup - Success
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:51:51 PM »

Bryan, congratulations on putting it all together. It is a good start, which has to happen somewhere. Slowly the awareness will build up, and sooner or later you'll have a permanent group of support like what we have seen on the Chilliwack River. :)

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 04:06:17 PM »

way to go guys, awesome job.
 sorry I couldn't make it.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 04:08:01 PM »

With me accepting a postion on the board with A.R.M.S. I wont be putting together another organization. I will be working with them and hopefully being the voice of the fishermen. As I get more involved I will let people know how it all works out. This is a great opportunity and I am looking forward to the opportunity that has been presented to me.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »

Well done Bryan and all your volunteers that pitched in on this very worthwhile project on the Alouette. I would like to have come down but a number of us were committed to helping FOC angle for Pike Minnows in Cultus Lake today. It was part of a radio tagging study they are doing.

Once again keep up the good work, glad you had such a beautiful sunny day as well.

Bone Cross

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 05:13:05 PM »

Great Job Bryan. I saw Randofish's truck at Eagen's run when I was on my way up river.
from a Redneck point of View!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 05:22:07 PM »

Thanks Brian for organizing such a great event. My daughter and I enjoyed the morning out and we could not believe how much garbage was actually at the small area that we cleaned. I also enjoyed running into a former school mate that I have not seen in a long time as well as everyone else. It was just unfortunate that we could not have stayed for lunch but family duties called. We will definatly be out again. Once again great job Brian  ;D ;D ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »

hey,

i saw you guys at the park runs fishing and half cleaning up ;D ;D

lol

I was the one walking past you guys .

i forgot about the clean up. i pick up the garbage as i went form davonsions to 216th

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 12:44:55 AM »

Well done Bryan, great turnout, we all took different areas of the river to clean which made it easier to cover the river. the river is looking much better than the past few years doing the clean-up.

Big thanks to you for organizing it and steping in when the "President" of  the allouette river group approached us with his hairs up :o, ran into him on the river and he was not pleased with our walking and cleaning up the river and voices his opinion with Dan, totally unacceptable in my opinion and then we find out he's the president.

I hope you can work together with him as he was pleased with what we did but really stood his ground, or, was not informed by his staff to what we did.

The day was great for a cleanup, great folks, well planned, city provided garbage bags and a place to dropp the garbage,tons of food, casting lessons by Wayne and Floon, great bbq and company from ones who care for the enviroment.
Dr Hook set us up for all the things that fit between the meat and buns and the Timmies coffee and donuts, cups, and the stuff in them, thanks Ray, made it a warmer morning with that huge urn :o

It's people who care that makes things happen, and it does not take much, just a little from everyone and that is what it's all about to make it happen.

RB
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 12:51:10 PM »

no prob I probably drank the most coffee anyway ;D I figured the coffee and donuts might get a few more people to put the rod down long enough to help out for a few hours, though it looks like allot of locals went fishing anyways :o
See you next time Nuggy, you'll have to let me know how those sickle hooks from RVR are working out 8)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 06:34:31 PM »

Nice pic and follow up article in todays paper Brian!
And hope for a better turn out next time

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 06:36:21 PM »

I just got a copy of it myself. I will be holding onto to this picture thats for sure :D The pic in my avatar is the pic they used in the paper.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 06:50:18 PM by bbronswyk2000 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 07:08:25 PM »

;D Good stuff Bryan, you should put text in the photo..."I got steel today" ;D ;D ;)

RB
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 07:18:21 PM »

;D Good stuff Bryan, you should put text in the photo..."I got steel today" ;D ;D ;)

RB

Thats a good one wish I came up with it myself though LOL

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 07:28:55 PM »

Great job on the clean up guys, awesome. :)  Also, congrats to you Brian on on getting on the Borad of A.R.M.S.!!   ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!