Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dollie fishing  (Read 1482 times)

ray

• I'm a llama!
dollie fishing
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:28:18 PM »

A buddy and i are heading out this weekend to do some dollie fishing. Having never done this we were wondering what would be the best flies, spoons and spinners to use and what would be the best area to try for these fish at. We were thinking of trying The Allouette river and maybe Gold creek. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
Re: dollie fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 12:37:20 AM »

on the fly, big minnow patterns have worked for me.
for lures, the wobbler spoon is a great lure (gold)
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:40:10 AM »

Small spoons or spinners. Worms or roe would be better, or a fly like that. What does a worm fly look like? ???
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:42:03 AM »

Spinners never fail. Pink, gold, silver and green should work fine. Size 2 to 4 are ideal. These are the ones that I usually use.

Spoons should work too, but I have a tendency to connect with more fish on spinners than spoons. Usually I like to start out with playing with other methods first and only pull out the spinners in the end when everything else fails. I fish these with a medium spinning rod and reel, fitted with 6 or 8lb test line.

If you are float fishing, a piece of chartreuse, white, pink wool on a size 2 or 4 hook works well by drifting the float through moderate flows. Another good presentation that Itosh discovered a few years ago was a small gooey bob placed above the hook, with a tiny piece of white wool tied to the hook. These have worked well between January and March.

Roe and worm will of course work very well, but dollies or bull trout are so readily to be caught so bait is pretty unnecessary. In addition, because of their aggressiveness, they have a tendency to swallow the entire bait so we try to avoid using it at all.

For flyfishing, a large leech, sculpin or flesh pattern should work very well this time of the year. Starting around the end of March, you want to switch your patterns to minnows as juvenile salmon begin to emerge. Observe what are swimming in the water and match your patterns to those.

The fish are generally between 2 to 4lb, but big ones up to 6, 8lb are around.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2005/1205_02.html

For anyone else who is interested and has never done it before, please remember it is a catch and release fishery in Southern BC. Chrome Mykiss and Itosh maybe able to add more information to the flyfishing part, as they have done well lately. See photo below.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »

A buddy and i are heading out this weekend to do some dollie fishing. Having never done this we were wondering what would be the best flies, spoons and spinners to use and what would be the best area to try for these fish at. We were thinking of trying The Allouette river and maybe Gold creek. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

The mouth of gold creek at north beach is a good bet. You will see them swimming around in the pools. Try glow bugs.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day