Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Summer holidays advices  (Read 1770 times)

frenchy

Summer holidays advices
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:57:09 PM »

Well, I did not even catch my first steel this year and I am already thinking about next summer... ::)

My parents are coming from France to visit us at the beginning of July and I was thinking about renting a camper during a week and visiting a bit Vancouver Island. I was thinking about driving from Nanaimo to Port Hardy or Nanaimo to Gold River but would be happy to do something else. Of course I would like to do some fishing during this week... Ideally I would like to do one guided day on the salt with my father and to fish a couple of rivers for summer run (that would really be great) or lakes for trout. It would be good to have the possibility to do a whale watching trip and to see a bear or two.

Do you have any advices concerning this trip? Where should I book a guide, Campbell river, Port Alberni, Port Hardy...? Where should we stop (great scenery, wildlife...)? Where should we try to see some killer whales? Do you know some nice lakes easily accessible? Some stream with a summer run in early July?

Well, any advice would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Thanks a lot

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Summer holidays advices
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 07:19:58 PM »

If you plan on going to Port Alberni give Iron Noggin from this forum a call.

island boy

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:32:18 PM »

by the sounds of it you want to see it all. i would head for tofino. you'll get the salt water fishing, whale watching,long beach and the bears. just past port alberni you will hit sprout lake. the river that feeds it is called tayor river.give it a try for some trout fishing. iron noggin might be alittle more helpful on the trout fishing in the area. but if you only got a week, i'd be going to tofino.
you kill it, you clean it.

Hook Set

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:43:17 PM »

I went out to Tofino a couple years ago and we did a one day salmon guided trip in and it was a great day. We went out with weigh west and had a really good time. Saw a whale and lots of sea lions and of course got into a bunch of fish. We also did a whale watching/ hot springs tour another day. I can't remember what the place was called but we saw some whales and had a good time at the hot springs. Hope this helps.

J.G.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:05:01 PM »

If you are going to fish out of Tofino, contact Jay Mohl@ Clayoquot Ventures. Local talent is always best...........

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 04:54:49 AM »

Since the trip is planned for early July, planning a trip with IronNoggin/Matt in Port Alberni Inlet maybe a good idea. Tofino is quite touristy, Bamfield is a bit out of the way and the road is rough. During that time, the sockeye salmon fishery in Port Alberni Inlet should be good. You would be trolling for them. Expect to see many many boats in the inlet. I find it slightly stressful but of course Matt will have the boat under control all the time and it is a rare and fun sight if you have never seen it before. The sockeye are caught on light spinning tackle, very fun. Here is a video of our outing last summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMxGvr7K01I

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/subscriber/video/high/20060901-high.wmv (subscribers)

Email Matt at mattstabler@shaw.ca to gather more information.

The drive between Campbell River and Port Hardy is very nice. One smooth road, uncongested. It is very scenic, at least it was when I drove it back in 1997 and 2001, others can probably provide more updated information. Not a whole lot of fishing unless you have access to a boat. It is also slightly too early for the big return of pink salmon.

Perhaps even a pit stop at Salt Spring Island and try some bass fishing at St Mary's Lake. Lakeside Gardens can accommodate campers, and it is family friendly. You would be fishing for smallmouth bass, yellow perch and the odd cutthroat trout. There are also lots of non-fishing activities to do on the island. If the timing is right, a group of us maybe doing a trip there around the same time. Something to consider.

frenchy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »

I went to Port Renfrew last August and had one day fishing for Halibut/Salmon. It was pretty cool, I caught chinooks, sokeye, hali and lincod, saw 2-3 whales and my first bear (I saw 5-6 more during the fall...).
I know that Tofino is The touristic spot and I would like to avoid it.
I wanted to do a part of the east/north coast this year.
Sokeye fishing? Why not...I will contact Matt.