Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout fishing?  (Read 7912 times)

JiG_Head

Trout fishing?
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:21:48 AM »

can there be any trout fishing be done @ this time of the month?

ive got some new ultra light gear from japan for kurodai...i want to try them on trouts :P
the shyt talker.

J.G.

Re: Trout fishing?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »

Your ultra-lite gear would be perfect for the Salmon River. A tiny balsa float, one b.b. split shot, and a piece of dew worm. Put on some gum boots and do some bush wacking. There are many nice cutt's, and possibly an early steelhead for you to play with..........

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 11:13:06 AM »

Your ultra-lite gear would be perfect for the Salmon River. A tiny balsa float, one b.b. split shot, and a piece of dew worm. Put on some gum boots and do some bush wacking. There are many nice cutt's, and possibly an early steelhead for you to play with..........

where is salmon river

Salmon river is in Langley just west of Fort Langley by the belmont golf course. A really small system that drains into the fraser.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

J.G.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 06:19:08 PM »

The better fishing is in the upper river. The section near the golf course isn't as productive.

Troy_604

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »

good to know about the salmon river, i live just outside of fort langley.  where in the upper river should i try?

Troy_604

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »

hmm, could be glover, 88th, or maybe telegraph trail?

J.G.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 10:08:17 PM »

It is closed upstream from the bridge on 232nd st. Start there and work your way down. Keep low, be quiet, and you should do well...........

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 05:03:14 AM »

The light tackle that you use for kurodai/chinu is best not to be used for steelhead and it does not perform ideally for trout. For those of you who are unaware of what kurodai or chinu is, please see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlxxUqIPUGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO74rbsYIKs

The tip of the rod is too thin (just when you think it can't get thinner, it does), unncessary for trout. The action of the rod, in my opinion, is not designed for the way trout fights. Locally, it is best to use it for perch.

That being said, you can certainly have good trout fishing this time of the year. The stocked lakes should still fish well, as some of the forum members have shown in the last few weeks. Good shore access is available at Sasamat, Buntzen, Rice, Lafarge and Mill.

Salmon River is one of the few small streams that still exist in the Lower Mainland. The best you will do there is most likely encountering a few coastal cutthroat trout. Wild ones (with an adipose fin intact) needs to be released, hatchery fish (absence of the adipose fin, with a healed scar) can be kept, but you are recommended to release them to help the rehab. process of this stream and all Fraser River tributaries.

Good luck.

J.G.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 05:38:47 AM »

I totally agree with releasing any hatchery fish caught in the Salmon River. This system needs all the help it can get. Although in 20 years of fishing this little creek, I have never encountered a fish of hatchery origin.
The cutthroat residing in the Salmon River look very different than others you will catch in the lower mainland. They have very few spots, but the ones they do have are very large. These fish have a predominant red slash under their lower jaw, but a rainbow like sheen to their flanks. A very unique strain of cutthroat.
Fishing in the late spring puts you on a collision course with steelhead. All one has to do is stop by the fisheries counting fence on Glover Rd. near the golf course to understand what I mean.
Coho fishing can also be very productive in the late fall. Targeting these fish anywhere from their staging grounds at the mouth of the river, all the way up to the fishing boundry.
I may make this river seem like catching fish here is no problem, that the river is loaded with fish. It's not, in fact many people would swear that nothing lives in this river at all. Like any other stream, it takes times to unlock the secrets........

Troy_604

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »

i saw some people fishing the nickomacle across from the driving range on 196th today, i might try it out this weekend