Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone fish the Little Campbell ?  (Read 4809 times)

Blue Heron

Anyone fish the Little Campbell ?
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:50:49 AM »

I heard theres Steelhead and Cutthroat in the that river. It sounds nice because its close to home. I've heard that you can
fish the golf course through into the rez. The rez expects a phone call before you fish through there. Don't know the number.
Would it not be really worth the time or is it only worth exploring for cutties?

allwaysfishin

Re: Anyone fish the Little Campbell ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »

fishing there is nothing like it used to be 20 years ago. You would be awfully lucky to get a steelhead in there but you may do well for cutties. There is some nice water right down by the outflow into the ocean and the golf course has some fishable spots as well. The best water for cutties is on reserve land and i have no idea how you gain permission to access this stretch. We never had to worry about such things back in the day.

Blue Heron

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:01:34 PM »

Thanks allwaysfishin, I heard that on the rez stretch they're pretty good about vistitors just don't litter that goes without saying.
Cutty fishing sounds good. If I get a chance soon I'll try and report back.

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 04:08:07 PM »

Like you said it was good 20 years ago......aaahhh the good old days,,I feel old now thanks,,,, ;D
Please honey can i go fishing now???

shadowcaster

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »

Most of the guys fish the river in three stretches. From 12th ave. down to 8th ave. From 8th. ave to pacific hwy. and from the pacific hwy. to the golf course. I usaly fish that last stretch. Go east on 8th. ave. from hwy. 99. Take your first right past the driving range. You will be at the river in a couple minutes. I,ll usaly fish all the way up to the hwy. The steelhead fishing sucks but there,s always cutties around. Try float fishing worms. Make sure you really work the under cut banks. The rez is a better place to fish in the fall. As far as getting permission goes. Ive never got it and nobody has ever hassled me. There,s always afirst time though. Good luck and you never know you just might hook a stealhead.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 08:49:14 PM »

The first time I fished there was at the hwy99 near the boarder there was a good pool back in the bush but they have put up that fence there. still would like to learn more spots so I can take my 10 year old and be close to home. any one that could help would be nice ;D
love to fish.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 09:43:14 PM »

The first time I fished there was at the hwy99 near the boarder there was a good pool back in the bush but they have put up that fence there. still would like to learn more spots so I can take my 10 year old and be close to home. any one that could help would be nice ;D

I use to fish that spot as well by the border, but stopped since they put the fence in there, you would have to get there early in the morning , to get a spot , that place was a gong show sometimes but produced allot of fish if you got a spot
ye that was a good spot I have no idea why they put that fence up but that was the only spot that I new about.
love to fish.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 12:18:57 PM »

the biggest fish i ever landed in there was a spring just over 20lbs.... caught on an inflated dew worm fished off the bottom at the bend in the golf course. we used to have the worm blowers that looked like an eye drop bottle with a hollow needle attached. we would get there super early and search for golf course dewies with a flashlight. they were 6 to 8 inches long and fat. you put em on the hook then stick the needle in em and squeeze. Poor worm would inflate like a balloon, but they sure did catch fish. All we would use there was worms and we caught trout , coho, spring and yes... the odd steelhead.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 04:09:38 PM »

the biggest fish i ever landed in there was a spring just over 20lbs.... caught on an inflated dew worm fished off the bottom at the bend in the golf course. we used to have the worm blowers that looked like an eye drop bottle with a hollow needle attached. we would get there super early and search for golf course dewies with a flashlight. they were 6 to 8 inches long and fat. you put em on the hook then stick the needle in em and squeeze. Poor worm would inflate like a balloon, but they sure did catch fish. All we would use there was worms and we caught trout , coho, spring and yes... the odd steelhead.
That was all I ever say used there and yes they woked good ;D
love to fish.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 05:38:44 PM »

There is a gate on the fence that is open year round to anglers. I fished it this year lots of cutty's most of them in the 12 inch range and caught lots of fish but if you fish it you can keep fish but I do all catch and release so if you do decide to fish it please do the same because they have declined in numbers over the years and it is just starting to become a river that you can catch fish out of ::) :P oh and watch the tides it is super high right know and is hard to fish :P
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Blue Heron

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 06:24:52 PM »

Steely,

Most of the guys are talking about bait. I was hoping to go with the 4 weight. Some leech patters or fleshy bunny leeches?
I'm not sure of minnow patters right now. Is a 4 weight to light should I go 6? By the way all the close to home waters should be
catch and realease, its to easy for rivers like these to get fished out. A favorite spot of mine in the spring is the salmon river below
232nd a few nice cuttys in there. Salmon river is non-retention. :)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 08:19:37 AM »

I use a four weight and as far as flies go you have to bring down a bunch of different patterns and try everything. I have done well with little green bugs and leaches but some days you'll catch the m on the weirdest patterns. If you fish it in the next week or two go closer to the ocean do to lots of water coming down from the hatchery.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »

Spent many hours on those small flows .
I believe the spot on the Little C you guys are talking about was what they called the mudhole back in the day.
I spent most of my time on the golf course and dewies was the bait of choice for me too.