Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Stamp From Shore...  (Read 2405 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
The Stamp From Shore...
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »

Bit of an Islander question...
It's been a while since I hooked into anything, let alone a steelhead. I've been hearing good things about the Stamp (both from FWR members, and others). The trouble is, that I don't have a boat. A buddy of mine has decided to get into fishing, and he has a car, so we can move around, but not entirely sure where to fish from the banks, or if it's even possible at all. I'm not asking for any secret locations (but wouldn't say no to them... ;D ) just a general idea if it's possible, and how to do it (drift, fly, cast/retrieve) ? Also, since I've never been there, I don't know any of the locations that are given in the regulations, it's hard to determine the limits, gear restrictions and such, if anyone has any idea, would they mind sharing.
Any and all help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

allwaysfishin

Re: The Stamp From Shore...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:51:16 PM »

easiest spot to locate is the gun club. find a map of alberni and look for sportsman road. you have to sign in at the gun club to park in thier lot. trail is there and you can hike to a lot of water starting at this location. You can pretty much spend a whole day fishing up and below this spot and hike right up to the bucket. Be aware only portions of the river are open to bait use with the no bait boundry starting at the yellow signs at the bucket and above.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 01:07:59 PM »

Another good spot is the Campgrounds.

shadowcaster

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:09:20 PM »

You might want to try below the campground. You can hike there from the campground. Or park on the road and hike down heart
attack hill,nice water. There is also money,s pool. It,s above the campground. You will have to drive to that piece of water. If your going
 to fish below the bucket,rod and gun club. You should pump some bugs before you go. Murphy and his boys dont use them, unless

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »

That's awesome guys, thanks for the input. Shadow mentioned that we could hike from there, so I think we'll give the campground a shot first thing, and then play it from there. No bugs unfortunately, but we have an arsenal of artificials to try out.
One question...how do you get to the campground...
I've looked at maps, and determined that it's off of Beaver Creek Road, but that's it. I'm assuming there are signs to "Stamp falls" or somethign similar, is that all we should be looking for ? Or is it a little more technical than that ?
Thanks again guys.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:37:14 PM »

Can't miss it. If I recall there is a sign on your right just prior to the turnoff.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:47:03 PM »

Thanks FA, we'll give it a shot and report back tomorrow.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 04:16:18 PM »

take some prawn tails with you..... they sure worked for us

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 06:47:23 PM »

Got home...didn't catch jack-all. A beauty day to be out, 3 guys in a jet boat were putting on a clinic, took 5 fish out of the same run in the time I was watching them there (2 hours), and saw one other one taken by the guy next to us bottom-bouncing a corkie (don't jump all over this guy, he was using a 1.5 ft leader).

Either way, first day on a new river, great to be out.

Got checked for licences by a pair of CO's for the first time in 4 years.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 06:52:05 PM by Spudcote »
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »

saw one other one taken by the guy next to us bottom-bouncing a corkie (don't jump all over this guy, he was using a 1.5 ft leader).

Bottom bouncing can be a very effective method.... bouncing with a corkie or spin n' glow or bait or the combination can do some damage to the steelhead/ salmon population....  But again, there is time and place for this method.