Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dollie flies  (Read 24728 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: dollie flies
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 10:01:40 AM »

Anyone know what the Squamish is looking like today? Is it out?

I'll most likely head to the chehalis on Saturday... I'm VERY curious.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 11:12:49 AM »

http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/formnav.asp?lang=0  The graph shows the Squamish to be on the high side from what I normally fish.  The Cheakamus seems more out of shape.  But, I'm no expert in relating those graphs to actual conditions.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 11:14:43 AM »

Derp, I don't have access to the PM function, my mail is matthew_joyce16@hotmail.com and that is the best way of contacting me.  I will call you in a bit if I don't hear from you.  Just the same I will be at the TIm Hortons in a big white '98 Volkwagen van- the kind, you wouldn't want to see your daughter get into.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:16:43 AM by Matt »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 05:54:47 PM »

went out on the cheakamus today and it is in great shape. got a nice bully out of there on a flesh fly. water is really clear and has come up quite a bit in the last week making conditions (on the cheakamus at least) absolutely perfect. tried some minnow/alevin patterns today with no luck. not sure if im fishing them wrong or what. flesh works great but i have gotten no lve from the minnow patterns. any tips on fishing them you guys?  if i dont go up the hill tomorrow im in for the squamish adventure..

tight lines
derek

always a student

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 06:20:19 PM »

nice fishy!! hopefully we'll get into some tomorrow. You are welcome to come along if you want.
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 07:28:20 PM »

That fish is OBESE!  What a pig.  Figures he took flesh, last time I was up there, the river was loaded with flesh.

nigglesworth

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 08:27:55 PM »

I was on the river today and it was perfect.  Nice and clear.  I did not have dereke's luck though.  Nice fish!  I am going to have to try the flesh patterns!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 08:31:46 PM »

when fishing fry patterns, angle the fly so it appears to be making a run for shore... The cutts really like that, I don't know about the bulls.

So basically, but an intentional belly in your line, and raise/lower your rod tip to adjust speed.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »

looks like the snow might be good up here tomorrow guys so im going to have to skip this trip but anytime you guys want to plan something up this side of vancouver im usually free to go out. i have friday, saturday and sundays off so message me and we will paln something. good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes....most of the luck ive had on the cheak has been in faster riffle water with flesh.....

tight lines

derek
always a student

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2007, 05:16:27 AM »

I was partying hard last night and I fell off a chair when I was standing on it. And when you fall like that you're not gonna have a good time. I think I fractured a rib or two (or bruised them good). Gonna see a doctor tomorrow because it hurts to breathe.

Anyways I probably won't be in shape to do Squamish this morning. So sorry. Maybe I'll stay home next time I'm gonna get out fishing in the morning so nothing happens.

I will be more free because I finished some courses in my program at bcit and I'll have more time on my hands. This means I can go fishing more often, so I'll make this up. Sorry Guys. :-[
When the weather's fine

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »

i know, i don't know whats wrong? bad luck? I went to the doc today and he said i bruised a couple of ribs, it really hurts to breathe

and with bryan now thats totally my fault and im sorry.
When the weather's fine

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 05:32:48 PM »

I was partying hard last night and I fell off a chair when I was standing on it. And when you fall like that you're not gonna have a good time. I think I fractured a rib or two (or bruised them good). Gonna see a doctor tomorrow because it hurts to breathe.

Anyways I probably won't be in shape to do Squamish this morning. So sorry. Maybe I'll stay home next time I'm gonna get out fishing in the morning so nothing happens.

I will be more free because I finished some courses in my program at bcit and I'll have more time on my hands. This means I can go fishing more often, so I'll make this up. Sorry Guys. :-[

Do you bail everytime you have plans setup, you did it to a friend of mine as well

oh yeah and I didnt bail on you at that lafarge outing. Its just unfortunate that these things happend. They won't happen again! hopefully
When the weather's fine

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 07:55:50 PM »

Don't sweat it Alex, sht happens, we'll get out next time.  I fished the Squamish instead after crossing the bridge at Fergies and seeing fishermen.  I got up there about 7:30 and while trying to cross to a spot i wanted to fish, waded too deep and stepped into soft sand filling my waders and causing me to swim.  Water wasn't fast and I only had to swim a couple meters to get back standing.  I have neoprenes so it wasn't a big deal, they're tight enough that maybe only a litre of water got in, they float and neoprenes arent really any different from a wetsuit so I was able to fish the rest of the day no problems.  I ditched the notion that i could make it to my planned spot after the swimming and drove up river and fished another spot.  As I was pulling line of the reel for a cast, I flicked the fly into the head of the pool and breifly saw a flash of silver and the tip of the line twich, before i could react though, he was long gone.  that turned out to be the only fish I saw that day, for me.  It rained pretty hard but no snow.  It wasn't even all that cold out.

By the way, does anyone on this board drive an older (80's or early 90's) black Nissan pickup with a white canopy.  I'm pretty sure Ive seen that truck a number of time up there

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »

does anyone know who the heck that guy is living in the campsite on the cheakamus in his camper? i ve seen him there since the summer , just wondering if anyon know what been doing there so long
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

stickler

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »

I stopped and fished a favorite side channel tail out on the lower Skeena yesterday on the way back from Terrace.  It is a perfect ambush location for migrating fry and the Dollies, Bulltrout, and Cutts have been known to stack up in there. Landed  3 decent Bulltrout and kept one for the oven.  Had to quit fishing when river otter took over the water.  I was using a pink marabou pattern with trailing #4 gammy.  Biggest Bulltrout caught on this run was 27" two years ago.