Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another first steelhead today!  (Read 7722 times)

sassygrams

Re: Another first steelhead today!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 08:03:08 AM »

Wow!  Congrats on the fish - beautiful :)
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Ribwart

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 09:13:07 AM »

Nice work Nicole...and congrats to the boyfriend on his first steelie, what a brute! I'm getting a deja vu feeling... ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:18:51 PM by Ribwart »

reeler

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 09:22:55 AM »

Nicole, do you have a multi-tip line for the spey rod?

daveg

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 09:23:35 AM »

Great story and nice fish Nicole, sounds like you two had a fabulous time. I can certainly believe he caught his first fish, first day and first time with a baitcaster because I believe totally in beginners luck.
Seen it way to many times to discount it whether its fishing, poker or just general gambling. Must be the energy thats given off by newbies. I know the first time I took Dorthy out and she used a baitcaster for the very first time she outfished all the old pros by hooking and landing four cohos. Go Figure :o.

Sometimes it's just dumb luck...however if you have an accomplished angler backing a green angler by pointing them in the right direction and they hook a fish is that beginners luck or just good direction?

Do guides rely on beginners luck for getting clients into fish? Sorry to hi-jack.....great fish!

mr.pink

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 12:37:17 PM »

nice fish,sweet.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »

Great job Nicole, he must still be grining from ear to easr now!!  What a beast for a first steely as well.  Isn't that always the way though!! ;D  Congrats to him! :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Brothersage

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 08:43:58 PM »

Cograts to both of you, sounds like a great day on the water.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 09:11:45 PM »

Nicole, do you have a multi-tip line for the spey rod?

I just purchased the Rio Skagit line, and I'm using my old Rio Midspey tips with it, as I've been finding the T-14 that I had been using was sinking too quickly and was getting hung up non stop.

The type 6 has been working out much better for me... Especially as the fish can be in tight when the water is as murky as it is...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 09:13:12 PM »

Nice work Nicole...and congrats to the boyfriend on his first steelie, what a brute! I'm getting a deja vu feeling... ;)

Heh, he said he was staring at that steelhead photo all day today while at work... A total fiend in the making!

:)
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 09:20:14 PM »

Sometimes it's just dumb luck...however if you have an accomplished angler backing a green angler by pointing them in the right direction and they hook a fish is that beginners luck or just good direction?

Do guides rely on beginners luck for getting clients into fish? Sorry to hi-jack.....great fish!

He had on my special jensen egg/wool thing, Rodney is the only one has a copy, other than my dad of course.

I put four colors of wool on it, chartreuse, white, light pink, and hot pink, in that order... Then a pink jensen egg, size 2. I cut the wool to size to match conditions. No need to use anything else, it's been working for 20 years, and is used 98% of the time...

If anyone wants to see it, I can take a photo... Just let me know.

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:38 PM »

nice fish any others hit there ? I am pretty sure I know where you were every time I fish above there on the other side there is 3-6 guys .

There weren't any others caught that I saw... I didn't expect to get in there, but got lucky... It's only going to get worse for people when things warm up, and more fish arrive... Enjoy it while it lasts.

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »

We fished there firstlight this morning untill 9am got nothing. Congrats on the fish it sure is purdy  ;D

I think the key is the afternoon right now, when things warm up a bit, but that's just my theory...

I'm sure Thickrick would disagree :)

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

daveg

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »

Then a pink jensen egg, size 2. I cut the wool to size to match conditions. No need to use anything else, it's been working for 20 years, and is used 98% of the time...

Exactly my point Nicole...You know what presentation to use and where to fish in certain water conditions. 

If he was outfitted at canadian tire and trotted down to the river alone with his 7 foot spinning rod, snelled bait holder hooks, red & white bobber, a piece of bacon and hooked 3 fish then it would be fair to say it was beginners luck.  Much the same with many of the male night club go'ers of Vancouver. Hence the term "getting lucky"  ;D

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »

Exactly my point Nicole...You know what presentation to use and where to fish in certain water conditions. 

If he was outfitted at canadian tire and trotted down to the river alone with his 7 foot spinning rod, snelled bait holder hooks, red & white bobber, a piece of bacon and hooked 3 fish then it would be fair to say it was beginners luck.  Much the same with many of the male night club go'ers of Vancouver. Hence the term "getting lucky"  ;D

Heh, you reminded me of a guy who was really trying hard to pick me up at the old parking area in front of the Easter Seal run one year, but you left out the gumboots :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 10:24:08 PM by Nicole »

-Garrett Hardin

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 10:20:51 PM »

I would say the best catch he made was you my dear...maybe that's what put the smile on his face...fish is secondary!!!   :o ;D