Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another first steelhead today!  (Read 7716 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Another first steelhead today!
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 10:22:50 PM »

Fishfreak, here is the wool thing:

I swear it's all I use 98% of the time on the vedder (when fishing gear of course)...

Too cold to mess around with roe for me, I have baaad circulation in my hands.

Some more angles shot here:

http://www.nicolegoodman.com/gallery/gearshots

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 10:26:09 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 10:41:01 PM »

Minus the barb of course ;)

So I guess that you got him into a steelhead he now owes you a ring  :o

J/K  :D

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 10:43:16 PM »

heh, yes of course I pinch my barbs, you're looking at a fresh one :)

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to tell him that, I'll tell him you guys said so ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 11:08:56 PM »

heh, yes of course I pinch my barbs, you're looking at a fresh one :)

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to tell him that, I'll tell him you guys said so ;)

Cheers,
Nicole

Tell him I said nothing less than 3 ct diamond. ;)  They have a Tiffany's in Vancouver now I am sure they can hook him up LOL

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

FF

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 01:03:46 AM »

Now its actually fun.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 01:18:50 AM »

The crappy water is good for fish to move past the lower river untouched, making them available in pocket water in mid river where I roam. Heehaw!  ;D

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 04:03:14 AM »

Great job Nicole and awesome report,the look on his face says it all despite a downed fly rod, as for the wool tie it looks wicked, I'm gonna have to give that a try.

Thanks Scruffy

Pat AV

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 09:27:27 AM »

Pretty fish and nicely colored,

thanks for sharing
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

reeler

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »

Nicole,
Do you think weighted popsicle-type flies or Squamish Poachers should be ok for the water conditions now?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 11:49:40 AM »

Nicole,
Do you think weighted popsicle-type flies or Squamish Poachers should be ok for the water conditions now?

The fish I hooked was on a lead bead weighted popsicle... So my answer to that would be yes :)

But keep in mind that some runs have fish laying quite shallow, say 2.5 feet, so be sure to try a close to shore swing first with a type 3 tip... The murky conditions allow them to feel much more comfortable in shallower water.

I've been focusing on some pretty heavy current to allow my type 6 to not get hung up, but still allow the fly to get down, all the while standing in a position that is more upstream so the fly does not swing too fast.

I'm doubtful the fish would be doing much chasing right now... So your presentation needs to follow suit. Slow it down to allow for a reaction...

And one other thing, try tying some General Practitioners instead of squamish poachers, they have a more slender profile, and you should tie lots of patterns in dark colors such as black and purple to increase contrast... First they have to see your pattern, then they have to have the time to react to it.

Good Luck!
Nicole

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:52:23 AM by Nicole »

-Garrett Hardin

reeler

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »

Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely take the speyrod along next time. If my casting is too rusty, I can strap on the centrepin and have a 15 ft float rod.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 04:33:11 PM »

Nice going Nichole and Boyfriend (fiance to be) ;D

Daveg as for your comments
I hooked my first steelie on my own

1 i picked my own water to fish,
2 my own set up,
3 my own bait 
4 it was my first time steelie fishing  ;D

only no one near to take a pic
 i did keep it as it was a hatch
only problem was it was 9.30am
so a short day fishing but worth the gas

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »

Nicole,

The fish I hooked was on a lead bead weighted popsicle... So my answer to that would be yes :)

But keep in mind that some runs have fish laying quite shallow, say 2.5 feet, so be sure to try a close to shore swing first with a type 3 tip... The murky conditions allow them to feel much more comfortable in shallower water.

I've been focusing on some pretty heavy current to allow my type 6 to not get hung up, but still allow the fly to get down, all the while standing in a position that is more upstream so the fly does not swing too fast.

I'm doubtful the fish would be doing much chasing right now... So your presentation needs to follow suit. Slow it down to allow for a reaction...

And one other thing, try tying some General Practitioners instead of squamish poachers, they have a more slender profile, and you should tie lots of patterns in dark colors such as black and purple to increase contrast... First they have to see your pattern, then they have to have the time to react to it.

Good Luck!
Nicole

I fished above there and other side using my nymphing strategy's..which is boring as hell...so I switched spools and went with my sink tips and swinging...It was the first time I've lost half my line on the river...the head hung up on I'm assuming a log and wrapped around it tight, busted my sink tip in half and ruined the loop to loop connector on my Rio line...that was an easy fix and I had to buy a new sink tip...so lesson learned...I'm thinking the clear head when the water clears and warms...

Deb

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 08:25:43 PM »

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said Nicole, except WOW!!!  You taught him well. ;D

He's hooked now I bet!

cheers
Deb

SnakeRoll

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 02:42:03 PM »

I fished above there and other side using my nymphing strategy's..which is boring as hell...so I switched spools and went with my sink tips and swinging...It was the first time I've lost half my line on the river...the head hung up on I'm assuming a log and wrapped around it tight, busted my sink tip in half and ruined the loop to loop connector on my Rio line...that was an easy fix and I had to buy a new sink tip...so lesson learned...I'm thinking the clear head when the water clears and warms...
[/quote]

Clear tip will be good in march and april , especially in the canal part of the river, but till then type 6 and type 3 is the way to go depending on the water you are fishing. If u keep snagging up you are fishing too deep..so just change to a light sinktip or if u are using a weighted fly u can change to an unwaited fly.
Catchin a winter steelhead is a challenge even to the best rods out there so don't expect to catch to many in jan and feb. You might want to get Dec Hogan's Book " A Passsion for Steelhead"   lots of good info  in there that can help you in your quest...
Another thing  u can do  is to get yourself a spey or twohanded rod. This can really help in your catch rate as well.
Thinking back, i wonder how i could have used a single hander before.