Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: freezing fingers  (Read 4746 times)

frenchy

freezing fingers
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:45:03 AM »

This winter seems to be colder than the previous one. What do you, Canadian used to extreme weather conditions ::), do to keep your hands warm and comfortable (or at least to avoid them to fall apart frozen solid) while fishing during these freezing days?

I usually wear wool fishing gloves, but when the weather is really cold my fingers hurt quite a bit and I often have to stop fishing to warm my hands.

This morning I did a little experiment while walking to work. I walked wearing 1 fishing gloves, the other hand being naked... As expected, the fingers of the hand wearing the glove started to hurt pretty quickly, but surprisingly the naked hand did not hurt at all... So are the fishing gloves useless?

What are your tips to keep you hands in working order?

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: freezing fingers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 10:10:18 AM »

It may be that if you have some constriction at the point where your fingers come out of the gloves, your fingertips aren't getting enough circuation, and hence the cold fingertips.  I rarely use gloves myself and when I do, I use polar fleece gloves with the entire thumb section cut out on the right hand (my casting hand) for the casting bar.  I don't usually have a problem with cold hands.
President Club S. C. & P.

Troy_604

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:31:56 AM »

i use the fishing gloves too, once and a while i have to take a break and warm my hands up though

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 01:15:27 PM »

I use Thinsulate fishing gloves with mittens.

frenchy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »

I use hot packs , and stuff them in my gloves

and it is comfortable? I did not know there are hot packs small enough to fit in gloves.

It may be that if you have some constriction at the point where your fingers come out of the gloves
not at all, but i agree it may be a circulation issue

I don't usually have a problem with cold hands.
well you are a real canadian ;D

frenchy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:50:50 PM »

I will be out tomorrow too  :o

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »

I often fish up at the T in very cold temp. (down to -15) and have found it quite bearable when I use polar fleece mittens which are kind of tough to find.  I've used them for years. I use a centre pin so you're using your finger tips to control the reel but I have used them with a baitcaster before without any problem of how much pressure to apply to the reel.  I know guys who do cut the thumb out because they're not used to thumbing reels  when their thumbs are desensitized with gloves but if I was to cut the thumb out of them I'd be done for.  My hand would get cold REALLY fast.

Sometimes when it's colder than minus ten I use the handwarmers that were mentioned up above and they definitely help.  They actually work better in mittens than in the gloves and overall I think mittens are always warmer than gloves because your fingers are together.  Hope this helps.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 06:48:24 PM »

Hi Frenchy, I just bought some Heat Factory hand heaters from Coast Mountain Sports at Metrotown in Burnaby. They are sold right at the cash counter and they come 2 small ones per pack or 1 large per pack. I bought the 2 small ones and they are supposed to last for 10 hrs and if you are finished with them before 10 hrs put them in an air tight container for later use. Cost is $2.50 per pack.

I have never used these before but I think it`s gonna be a little cold on the river tomorrow and I hope it saves me a walk back to the vehicle for a warm up :D

Cheers

Nuggy

share ur cold with me !!!!
hardware == fish

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 07:56:34 PM »

Too many years doing this work! Now, having had my hands in cold water, dealing with fish, on a consistent regular basis for over 30 years, they become useless clubs whenever it gets even slightly chilly.
So, I do two things actually. The first is the fingerless fleece gloves. They help (but must fit right with no constrictions as noted). Second, the heat pads one can aquire at Canuck Tire work well. I slip them into the CUFF of my jacket, right next to my wrist. This heats the blood both coming and going from your hands, keeps them, AND the rest of you comfortable when it's cold. Neo cuffs hold them in place, and the cuff of the glove overtop certainly secures them.

Without, I'd never be out when it gets chilly, like tomorrow  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »

Hi Frenchy, I just bought some Heat Factory hand heaters from Coast Mountain Sports at Metrotown in Burnaby. They are sold right at the cash counter and they come 2 small ones per pack or 1 large per pack. I bought the 2 small ones and they are supposed to last for 10 hrs and if you are finished with them before 10 hrs put them in an air tight container for later use. Cost is $2.50 per pack.

I have never used these before but I think it`s gonna be a little cold on the river tomorrow and I hope it saves me a walk back to the vehicle for a warm up :D

Cheers

Nuggy

share ur cold with me !!!!

Cold ??? You lost me there Testo. I will share some of those hand heaters with you ;) ;) ;)

you should ! hjehehe or i will cry like lilXXXX :D
hardware == fish

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 08:44:22 AM »

I find, go bare-handed, get cold, go through the pain of warming them up once and then after that, you're usually good for the rest of the day.

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

frenchy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 06:27:34 PM »

thanks for the answers!

I went out today (skunked) with fingerless gloves. The first half an our i had to stop every 2 drifts to warm my hands but after that no problem

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 12:05:16 AM »

I hate fishing with gloves on. I'll wear them to and from the hole but that's it. I can't get a proper feel with them on. So I do the little things like turning my back or shoulder to the breeze - even the slightest breeze increases the chill. Keep your hands dry - this is tough to do when when you're thumbing your line. Don't use roe unless it's pre-tied roe sacks. Keep the hands in close to the body.

If the rod eyes start freezing then it's time to call it quits or stay out no more than a couple hours.

Fish the prime holes only and don't spend a lot of time out at one hole. Keep moving and wear gloves between runs.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 12:07:05 AM »

Oh ya - stop being a wuss. Suck up the cold or watch from the truck. We're pretty blessed down here with very few cold days. Don't fish on cold days.

darmin

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »

I dont use gloves never have find them a nuisance its mind over matter ,if you dont have a mind it doesnt matter ;D