Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warming Up For The Derby, Vedder January 9  (Read 1836 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Warming Up For The Derby, Vedder January 9
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »

Today I decided it would be a good day to check out the Vedder as I was certain the recent high water would have once again have changed some of the runs. I also was anxious to try and finally land a steelhead after breaking two off last week. It was not really my fault I broke them off as the spot I hooked them was not a kind spot to land one.

It however was nice once again to see a chrome beauty of 10 pounds or so clear the water in a majestic leap that only a steelhead can do, that was before it dove under some roots leading me having to break it off to retrieve at least the Maple Leaf Drennan. The next fish, on the second cast after the loss headed straight downstream and because of the bushy area I had to straight line it. After that I refused to fish the spot any more even though I was sure more Irons were there, as I knew leaving two hooks in these lovely gamefish was bad enough. I should have known better than even trying to fish that spot. :-[ >:(

Sorry that I went back in time a bit. Before fishing today I wanted to get the garbage bags up at a few parking area's with the new signs the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition had made to go along with the bags we service. Rodney may post some pictures later.

After completing the first one at Hoogies I am just starting to dial Lew on the cell phone and see if he would like to try a little fishing after I complete the bags and sign placement as the water did not look too bad, maybe 15 inches. It sure looks like we will have to get used to fishing these conditions this season but the coming cold snap may help some.
Before I can dial Lew the phone rings , guess what, it is Lew. ;D Great minds think alike I guess one could say. He wonders if I am out on the river, I tell him I was just going to call him and see if we should get out and get our spot for the derby picked as we are planning to fish together. ;D ;D

"Lets do it he says" so we decide to meet in 45 minutes as I want to get one more bag setup done. Just before I leave I see two bags of mallards that had just had been dumped in the bushes with just the breast meat taken from them, to me that is a waste, it seems too many people do not have the time these days to dry pick them. At least they could have buried them instead of just dumping them, it is not the first time I have seen this done in the area. :'( >:(

We meet at 10:30 and are fishing shortly after and yes once again the runs have changes some, for the better. ;D ;D The visibility was not the best but fishable, however in a couple hours of fishing our floats stay high and dry. We have our runs picked however for Sunday's big event. ;D

We decide to take a break, head to Yarrow for a coffee and muffin. I tell Lew a nice fairly new spot has opened up recently called The Steaming Kettle. Just as we get there I get a call from the Chilliwack Progress photojournalist wanting the location of where the cabins are being torn down at Riverside as she wanted a photo. She thought they were the cabins effected by the flood by Wilson Road. I give her the correct spot.

Lew and enjoy a good coffee break and meet the new owners of The Steaming Kettle, a very nice couple that have recently moved to Canada from the Middle East, we all agree how lucky we are here in Canada.

If out near the East end of Yarrow stop in for a bite to eat, their soup looks great, they are open 7 days a week.

After the 30 minute rest we see the wind has really picked up and is warm, over 12 degrees so we decide to forget the fishing and do 3 more garbage bag placements.

We end the day by checking out the going ons at Riverside and see the cabins some with stuff still in them. They were being pulled down by a machine. We also check the river there and it was getting dirtier we though by the minute. Will close now as power flickering and going for the evening flight.

O, by the way Lew and I are ready for Sunday, are you? ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 06:05:54 PM by chris gadsden »

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Warming Up For The Derby, Vedder January 9
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »

Thank's for the report Chris, a great read as always. I've been chomping at the bit to get out there and pick my spot for Sunday because as you said the river has changed greatly. Good to hear you at least had a couple on albeit in a losing cause. Ahh well Chris best to save it for Sunday anyway.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 06:04:26 PM »

I'm going up this week sometime too...I'll have a few spots ready, but out early so can help do the set up....hopefully won't need to long.. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:18:59 AM »

Photos posted for Chris.

Where the steelhead broke me off.

Our new signs.

CVRCC signs with garbage bags at Hoogies

Discarded mallards, giving hunters a bad name.

Putting up more cleanup signs, no nails used as tied to the trees.

Riverside cabins being demolished, some still full of contents.