Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where can I find cheap flight for wife's vacation  (Read 3367 times)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Where can I find cheap flight for wife's vacation
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:20:23 PM »

Hello to all,

Wife is going on vacation to Malaysia and Hong Kong around July 2007 and she is asking if any of the members here knows where to get reasonable airline ticket price.

Thanks in advance!!!!

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: Where can I find cheap flight for wife's vacation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:24:34 PM »

well i usually go back to Indonesia from Canada through Singapore every year

I use Singapore Airlines most of the time because of its service and its reasonable price and sometimes Cathay Pacific

What do you plan to use as an airline ? Will you use Cathay Pacific to Hongkong ?

I can also suggest you places in Hongkong to go and Malaysia because I've been to those countries few times

is this from

Canada -> Hongkong -> Malaysia ?

let me know so I can give you few suggestions :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:26:08 PM by testo84 »
hardware == fish

sassygrams

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:57:20 PM »

Hello to all,

Wife is going on vacation to Malaysia and Hong Kong around July 2007 and she is asking if any of the members here knows where to get reasonable airline ticket price.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I work for a company where we have discounts for travel - may be something to look into - can always consider becoming an extended family member :)  If I can get some comparable pricing for you - let me know the itinerary.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

norm_2

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 08:23:50 PM »

Steelieman, last time I booked to Asia, but not to Malaysia, Asiana and China Eastern were the lowest by $300.  I have not flown China Eastern.  I have been on Asiana which has a reasonable flight record.  Coincidentally, I read in either the Sun or Province, this weekend's, Asiana was rated highly for the cabin crew.  Let me know if you need more details.  I also know how to pack frozen smoked steelhead so that it will still be frozen when she gets there.  I guess it is a good trip for you - more fishing time.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »

I just bought mine a new broom.. ::)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 03:48:22 PM »

Hello to all,

Thanks in advance!!!!

I work for a company where we have discounts for travel - may be something to look into - can always consider becoming an extended family member :)  If I can get some comparable pricing for you - let me know the itinerary.

just make sure its cathay pacific at least or singapore airlines :D

it is not fun being in an airplane for 10 hours ( canada -> hongkong ) without nice treatment with almost same price :D

and from hongkong -> malaysia ( 8 hours ) !

cheers
hardware == fish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »

I agree with Testo. Singapore Airlines offers the best service out of all the airlines that I have been on. Cathay Pacific is pretty good too, but not as good as Singapore in my opinion. July is peak season, so cheap flights are rare but you maybe lucky if you book early.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »

A flight out of Seattle will save you several hundred dollars if you are willing to drive to seattle , with some flights you are saving 1/3 or more .

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 06:47:13 PM »

I just bought mine a new broom..

just had to wipe my lcd screen,,,,,
thats a great one xgolfman,

was it a straw broom or synthetic??? ;D
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »

I just bought mine a new broom.. ::)

For your health I hope your wife is not reading this. ;D

WestEast

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:39:32 PM »

If you're fixed on Malaysia and HKG, you don't have a big choice. For the best discounted prices you need to stick to one airline. For those two countries, you're limited to Cathy which hubs in HKG. Now if you don't mind a 4hr bus ride (quite comfortable) out of Singapore, or doing an internet air ticket to cover SIN-KUL on AirAsia or Tiger (can be extremly cheap.... cheaper than the bus) than you can do a YVR (or SEA) to HKG and SIN. That opens options up to include United (from SEA) and SIA. A few years ago, Malaysian Airlines flew here, and transitted HKG on the way. That would have been perfect. Unfortunately they stopped YVR.

If you can forgo HKG, or take an extra transit point (longer trip) than you have China Eastern (via Shanghai), Eva/ChinaAirlines (via TPE), Asiana/KoreanAir (via SEL), JAL/NW (via NRT), AirChina (via PEK).

I have heard China E. is really discounting deep ($600 return to Shanghai right now). But travel in July is peak, so expect a minimum $1K. At least $1,600 for Cathy. Yes, you can save a few hundred if you buy your tickets out of the US for travel through SEA. However, not all the above airlines service SEA.

A decent, small Richmond-based travel agent should know all these options and have access to the wholesale discount tickets from these airlines. The bigger travel shops don't deal in these deep discount tickets. They may not be too open with pricing over the phone (for competitive reasons), so plan on visiting a few.

I travel about 150,000 miles a year across both oceans, and been on most of these airlines (and AC) when doing Asia. Safer than any drive up the 99. Good luck with your shopping.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:46:01 PM by WestEast »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 11:01:52 PM »

I just bought mine a new broom..

just had to wipe my lcd screen,,,,,
thats a great one xgolfman,

was it a straw broom or synthetic??? ;D

hee hee... ;D it's sure not one of those out of harry potter...