« on: January 07, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »

whats your opinin of derbys
tight lines

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: derby
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:13:10 AM »

This poll is kinda useless. Are we talking like in the USA a big Bass Derby where the winner gets $50,000? Or are we talking a derby where all money raised goes back into the river?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

redside1

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

only place you will ever see one is on a hatchery stream, so what's the big deal? If done right the proceeds can go back towards habitat and other stream improvements. What real harm has the boxing day derby done to the Vedder? Got more people out fishing and created awareness for the place. Derbies can or could do more good than harm if managed right and the event was focussed on proceeds and such  going back into the system it has been held on. Derbies where all the proceeds go to charities may be good for the charity but will do little to help out the river it was held on.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »

only place you will ever see one is on a hatchery stream, so what's the big deal? If done right the proceeds can go back towards habitat and other stream improvements. What real harm has the boxing day derby done to the Vedder? Got more people out fishing and created awareness for the place. Derbies can or could do more good than harm if managed right and the event was focussed on proceeds and such  going back into the system it has been held on. Derbies where all the proceeds go to charities may be good for the charity but will do little to help out the river it was held on.

Well said and I totally agree. If the proceeds go back to the river that it is held on to help the habitat of the system then I am all for it but if it is just for profit then what does that do for the river. The ones for profit will bring out the worst in people(greed) and would most likly bring out all sorts. I for the most part do not take part in derby's as I do not believe that fishing should be a competition but should be more for enjoyment. Unfortunatly some people have lost site of that whether it is a derby or not. Just my 2 cent worth.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:48:48 AM »

Well said and I totally agree. If the proceeds go back to the river that it is held on to help the habitat of the system then I am all for it but if it is just for profit then what does that do for the river. The ones for profit will bring out the worst in people(greed) and would most likly bring out all sorts. I for the most part do not take part in derby's as I do not believe that fishing should be a competition but should be more for enjoyment. Unfortunatly some people have lost site of that whether it is a derby or not. Just my 2 cent worth.

Well you had better be at the derby next week  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
would be good to see you out there
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:25:10 PM »

Derbies are the least of our worries in my opinion as so many other factors threaten our fish stocks, our river systems, other habitat issues and our angling opportunities.

As I mentioned in my Boxing Day Derby a record $13,873.12 profit was raised, thanks to the work of the Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association. This will find its way in to habitat restoration work etc.

I think you will find the recreational sector works harder than most in protecting fish stocks and the habitat they call their home.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »

Fly guy ,Wasn't that you i was fishing with on the boxing day derby :o ;D looked to me we had a good time,if you don't like derbies so much maybe next year i will have to find a different partner ;) ;) or maybe i will go solo and keep the hotspots to myself.The only reason you don't like derbies is due to the fact you never know if you are allowed to go, ;D ;D
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »

Hey searun did you actually read my post ;D ;D . Maybe you should. If you can't then here is what I said. I believe I said that I agree with them as long as the money goes to the river which in fact the derby on boxing day does. I think that I also said that  if the derby is purly for profit reason(which the derby on boxing day is not) then I do not agree with them.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:43:23 PM »

sory crrection mayde,i was nver reely goad in englissh. ;D
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »

well we all knew that  ;D . We are just trying to figure out which is better your english or you fishing  ;D ;D ;D ;D .

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »

so since this is 100% for donation back to the river does that mean you are going to attend ??  :)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 08:55:30 PM »

Me unfortunatly can not. My wife has to work and since my daughter did not get back into town until today my ex and I switched weekends so now I have my daughter next weekend. Sorry but family before fishing.