Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VeDDer with GeAr..1-4-07  (Read 4454 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
VeDDer with GeAr..1-4-07
« on: January 04, 2007, 07:00:09 PM »

Well...what can I say....If you can't whip um, join um...the gear was out in force today..Roe sacks, shrimp, spoons...the whole kit...The river wasn't cooperating as much but it sure beat working...Hit mid river, water is still way up...Kind of cool hiking in some way back places and finding all the fish carcases back there..damn is the river powerful...but I digress...
Water visibility was around 4-6" and was getting a little better as the day went on...I started with roe sacks and a spin & glo as I figured I could use all the visibility I could get...Didn't get a sniff but hiked a pretty good section of river...worked on my spoons...not near as easy as it seems...Have questions for my Spoon master on that part...Put on some big pink shrimp tails too but got nodda..

Headed up river in the afternoon...river is getting that greenish white look which you read is so perfect but needs another day or two of cold weather...found some nice water...talked to a couple guys who said they had heard one was taken earlier in the day up there but they and I didn't have any luck...found a new squatters shack on the side of the river...Ran into a fellow FWR member and were pretty disgusted seeing that crap up there...

All in all I was actually really happy to have the gear rod today..worked off the rust with no one around to laugh at me.. :-[  Talked to a guy who was using his fly rod and didn't feel disapointed in the least at not having mine... Kind of surprised me..last year it killed me to be out without the fly...this year I want to catch a few steelies...and I've learned that it's hard enough without having a handicap....spey rod...now that's a possibly for the future...but for now...I was having a blast throwing my gear...AND it was nice to fish the WHOLE river and not be as limited by my equipment...

Here's a couple shots of some buddies who stopped by to watch me...snow level was pretty low too...God, it's nice to be on the flow and NOT working once in awhile... ;D

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 07:03:12 PM by Xgolfman »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: VeDDer with GeAr..1-4-07
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »

Nice to see you actually got out !! Thx for the phone call  >:(

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 08:39:59 PM »

Those birds usually don't sit and watch unless you have something skunky or chummy smelling on your person. Better luck next time. I'm O for 1 and counting.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »

Shhheeeeit...I didn't want to get all tangled up in your line while you learn to cast that thing.. ;) Can you take off during the week? I end up going by myself so that would be great..

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 10:20:48 PM »

Xgollfman, your singing my song.  If I'm going fly fishing my gear rods in my truck.  It's my safety blanket.  I know I got to get away from it, but being new to fly-fishing I just don't have the confidence on a fly-rod I've caught a handful of fish with compared to a gear setup I've caught fish on since I've known how.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »

Xgolfman,

I'll give you 3 more weeks then I'll be checking the Buy & Sell section to see if you have given up your gear and gone back to the fly rod. ;D ;)  LOL....stick it out, it's the only way to become a true fisherman. 

I hear ya....One thing working in the gears favor is my 10' 9wt was not that fun to toss all day..even though it was mostly roll casting...it got old pretty quick...it was also really nice to not have to limit myself to certain spots on the river and to also (just to test the curado dvs reel, which is butter) to wing it out there to the other side of the river with a little flick of the wrist...THAT was cool ;D

Nuggy

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 11:08:56 PM »

Thanks for the report Xgolfman.

Cheers

Nuggy

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 06:20:47 AM »

I hear ya....I Love to spend the day at home by myself and toss all day..it was also really nice to wing it out there to the other side of the room with a little flick of the wrist...THAT was cool ;D

Yikes !!! I guess you're wife must still be away  ::)

;D ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:08:11 AM »

Just another day in Paradise! :) :)
Great pics.
It's a great life isn't it?
I could smell the river reading your report. Thx.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:00:04 AM »

Shhheeeeit...I didn't want to get all tangled up in your line while you learn to cast that thing.. ;) Can you take off during the week? I end up going by myself so that would be great..

If you give me a couple of days notice I can get a day off in the week !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »

I hear ya....I Love to spend the day at home by myself and toss all day..it was also really nice to wing it out there to the other side of the room with a little flick of the wrist...THAT was cool ;D

Yikes !!! I guess you're wife must still be away  ::)

;D ;D

you are SUCH an -ss-ole... ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »

well, with this snow, and this rain. Im wondering if its worth the trip up there tommrow?

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 11:38:38 AM »

I suppose to go fishing this early morning,cause it was snowing in vancouver,so watching hockey game instead >:( >:( ::)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »

took a little gander to the river, the lower is virtually unfishable maybe 8'' as i drove by the crossing. the upper was ok. visiblity decreased however later in the day, its raining on the river up by ranger and i could see chunks of clay falling in from the slide :o
dont know about tomorrow, if it keeps raining its not worth it IMO
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 12:51:28 PM »

I went out for a few hours yesterday as well - fished nearly everything in my vest from Alison on up...  hooked up with something, saw a brief flash of silver, but wasn't on the ball enuf and I think my hookset wasn't of the bestest it coulda been

The visibility was so-so, will depend on the weather for the next few days.... anyway, I took a couple of pics of the water for you - sorry they're not the crispest, got a waterproof bag for my cam for xmas, and tried taking pics without removing the cam (I was standing in the river afterall - don't wanna waste fishing time to wade out and take out the cam from the bag!).

Also saw the new squatters mess - if it weren't so windy, all those skids would have made a great bonfire!  ;)

Anyway, here's the pics (about half way between alison and limit):
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/ScouterJames/Vedder/2007-01-06VedderRiver004.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/ScouterJames/Vedder/2007-01-06VedderRiver002.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/ScouterJames/Vedder/2007-01-06VedderRiver001.jpg
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.