Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chameleon  (Read 2827 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Chameleon
« on: December 26, 2006, 07:32:02 PM »

Thinking about getting the pin spooled with maxima chameleon? One queston, in low clear water with the colour of the line will it spook fish with 15lb main line? If so, what another line that good other then ulgtra green. I wanna try something new?

thanks

river walker

Re: Chameleon
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 07:38:57 PM »

Chameleon is all i use.  It's great for the pin, alot stiffer and it dissapeares in the water so don't worry about it. Try it you will never use Ultra green again!
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 08:45:26 PM »

Is stiff line easier to use on a pin then a baitcaster??? I ask this as I've tried chameleon and izzor line on my old calcutta conquest and it was too stiff...I'm using the izzor line now on a curado..but I can't give you a report as I never use the damn thing...

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 12:07:40 AM »

I use 15lb chameleon on my Trudex. Never had a problem spooking fish, but how would you know??? Anyways it wouldn't really matter cuz in clear water u'll be using a longer leader. They'll never see what hit 'em!!!

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 06:07:33 AM »

you mean around a 15' leader ;D ::)

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 10:04:41 AM »

if you need to try something new go with fishforever's suggestion of Mustad "Thor". Had this on a reel for over a year so far and it has stood up very well.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 12:59:37 PM »

Used to run Chamelion on my levelwinds years ago. Damn tough alright, held up well to the many rocks and obstacles the Stamp has to offer up! Generally used it for coho and springs.

Now I run 17 pound test Iron Silk on my Islander center-pin and truely prefer it to any other now. Thinner diameter means it "cuts" through the water a lot better than most, and you'll be amazed at how much more line the reel will hold! And you won't believe the finish on this stuff! Like casting a greased fly line, it shoots through the guides like greased lightening! When I put it on one of my levelwinds, it made the whole setup so much faster, it was like running a completely different reel! Super FAST! And the line does hold up reasonabley well against abrasion. Likely the only line I'll be running on the CP for the forseeable future...

As always, your mileage may vary  ;D

Cheers,
Nog - NO affiliation with the fine folks with Iron Silk, just a Believer  ;)

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 03:35:31 PM »

Nog.
 ironsilk has been discontinued by Pure Fishing. If you really like this line you may want to purchase the line sizes you use otherwise the forseeable future s coming sooner than you think.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »

Why was it discontinued ?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »

EGhad!! Dammit, just like a lot of other things fishin' related. Find something that works, and they stop making it. Sucks Royally!! ???

Big Time THANKS for the Head's Up! Very much appreciated! Guess I'll be buying out everything Gone Fishin' has in stock... tomorrow that is!

Cheers,
Nog

Nog.
 ironsilk has been discontinued by Pure Fishing. If you really like this line you may want to purchase the line sizes you use otherwise the forseeable future s coming sooner than you think.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »

Why was it discontinued ?

sales numbers north america wide are most likely not what Pure Fishing wants them to be at so they discontinued the product and replaced it with new lines that they hope will sell better.
 New lines from Pure Fishing for the 2007 season are the following
Trilene MAXX
Big Game Hi-test
Big Game IGFA
Stren Super Knot
Spiderwire G-String
plus new fluorocarbon and super braid lines of different names.