Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Derby  (Read 6417 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Steelhead Derby
« on: December 26, 2006, 04:03:32 PM »

Any results ?

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Derby
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 04:15:36 PM »

The mid & lower river had no visibility yesterday and I don't think it would be any better today. Fished until 5pm yesterday around ranger & no fish. What a nasty clay hill there on the other side!

So, are fishermen all crowded up in the upper river around Ranger? It is hard to imagine 300 guys fishing shoulder-to-shoulder there?  I bet all the 4 fish and the fish hooked & lost are from upper river.

Looks like any bit of rain or snow melt will colour up mid & lower river. Wow, I hope steelhead fishing this season does not deteriorate to sockeye type of fishing due to the lack of fishable waters.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 04:24:22 PM by liketofish »

ever_hopefull

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 05:06:51 PM »

There was definitely a crowd above what used to be Ranger run.  Saw one wild and one dolly taken from just above the clay bank upstream of Ranger.  The lower end cleared up somewhat from yesterday with about 2 feet of vis at Peach.  Lots of people throughout the river hitting it hard with everything one could imagine.

Nice day on the river - but not a lot of fish.

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:39:34 PM »

The mid & lower river had no visibility yesterday and I don't think it would be any better today. Fished until 5pm yesterday around ranger & no fish. What a nasty clay hill there on the other side!

So, are fishermen all crowded up in the upper river around Ranger? It is hard to imagine 300 guys fishing shoulder-to-shoulder there?  I bet all the 4 fish and the fish hooked & lost are from upper river.

Looks like any bit of rain or snow melt will colour up mid & lower river. Wow, I hope steelhead fishing this season does not deteriorate to sockeye type of fishing due to the lack of fishable waters.  ;D
small fish in a big river

Hook Set

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 07:37:38 PM »

It was a fun day even though I didn't hook anything. Saw one wild fish landed and one other fish rise. Found lots of good water to fish in the future. All and all a really good day.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 07:47:36 PM »

This is a pretty crappy number of weigh ins isnt it?  anyone know previous years in terms of fishers vs weigh ins???  Do the people who were out think its due to conditions or mor lack of fish?

Its a heluva long drive from n van if the fishing is slow...

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 07:53:08 PM »

I think it has more to do with conditions and we are going to have to get used to it for a while.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 07:53:30 PM »

This is a pretty crappy number of weigh ins isnt it?  anyone know previous years in terms of fishers vs weigh ins???  Do the people who were out think its due to conditions or mor lack of fish?

Its a heluva long drive from n van if the fishing is slow...
One year only 1 small fish but I donot think the angler entered it so derby was held the following week. I believe fishing was so slow that year was because it was so very very cold.
I heard of a few wild fish caught today and of course some lost.

I was talking to Jason who, about 30 minutes before the end of the derby had one right at the beach and he lost it. He was not sure if wild or hatchery but I bet it was a hatchery. ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 07:55:49 PM »

But he swears it was wild  ;D ;D . We where there and it was a big fish. It definatly would have been a challenger for first.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »

I fished mid river area today the water had about 12 inches of visibility early in the day but gradually clearing more as the day went on,there were 4 fish hooked in the area we were fishing,my 6.88 pound hatch,flyguy released a 11 to 12 pound wild as well as losing a small hatchery in the morning,as well the very large steely that was lost at about 120pm.From conversations i had at the club house with some of the fisherman there seemed to be much more action from mid river down,the derby winner was caught on the lower river.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »

Id bet there are plenty of fish in the river already, the water conditions have been poor the last couple of days and any amount of rain seems to colour it up pretty quick, that being said, the top end of the river seemed to clear pretty quickly with visability nearly a foot and a half in places. This morning at first light on the lower end we saw a huge steelhead jump twice in the same little run, we drifted roe through this area but with clarity around 6" we would of had to get the bait right in front of its beak.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »

Id bet there are plenty of fish in the river already, the water conditions have been poor the last couple of days and any amount of rain seems to colour it up pretty quick, that being said, the top end of the river seemed to clear pretty quickly with visability nearly a foot and a half in places. This morning at first light on the lower end we saw a huge steelhead jump twice in the same little run, we drifted roe through this area but with clarity around 6" we would of had to get the bait right in front of its beak.
When you told me about the fish jumping I was looking for the closest way to get over there. ;D ;D Good once again to see you both.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 08:46:44 PM »

Don't catch them all. Save some for me on Thursday.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 08:56:27 PM »

Hey FF tell Dave he has to use the force,its the only way he is going to to avoid an 0 for five start to his season.Use the force Luke, use the force.lol ;D ;)
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 09:23:28 PM »

Wow only 4 fish? are the numbers droping every year? im about 90 percent sure the number was much higher last year if not double?
[