Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano & Seymour  (Read 1428 times)

sassygrams

Capilano & Seymour
« on: December 25, 2006, 08:01:22 AM »

Merry Christmas.

How I am planning to spend my Christmas - well, fishing  ;D Didn't go to see the family this year until January.  I would like to head out but since I do not have the gear for these awesome steelies - does anyone know if there is anything in the Cap or Seymour?  If anyone knows - share and I will head out.  I don't want to go if there is nothing in there.

Happy Ho HO
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Pat AV

Re: Capilano & Seymour
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 09:16:45 AM »

The cap should have some early winter runs moving in but I am no expert on that system so I am sure others could give you more valuable info than I can.

As for the Seymour there are winter run steelhead in the lower river right now and there are also summer run steelhead over wintering in the upper river. Good access points include Riverside Road and the LSCR's fishermans trail. While there are alot less fish in the Seymour than the fraser valley rivers, there are also alot less guys on the rivers.

For further info on the Seymour I would suggest checking out the following

1) The Seymour Salmonid Societies website (this is a great group that operates the hatchery on the Seymour they are always looking for volunteers, the exciting oportunities they have are second to none in the lower mainland)

2) The GVRD's LSCR website could have some good Seymour river access maps.

3) Stop by Highwater Tackle (around Lonsdale and second) in north van and talk to Dave Steel he is an expert on the North Shore Rivers and the President of the Seymour salmonid Society - he can help you out with seymour river insider info and with info on how to get involved with the society if you are interested.

Good luck and make sure you check the regs for the Seymour if you go it is highly regulated and quite sensitive (there have been changes to the regs this year that are not listed in the print version of the regs that you can only find on the net.)
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Pat AV

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 01:36:52 PM »

Can't reply to your PM sassygrams so I will here,

You are very welcome for the info and I am glad to hear that you are thinking of getting involved with the Society. All the volunteer co-ordinators are great people and I know you will have a blast.

Have fun in Kelowna and shoot me another PM with your email adress and I can give you more info for next weekend's fishing on the Seymour!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »

Sassy, it never hurts to get out on a river an explore/go for a walk.  Most definitely there could be steelhead in both those local river, I already have a confirmed steelie report from the cap.  Keep in mind that both north shore rivers and catch and release for any steelhead.  Good luck.