Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At what point do you decide to quit Steelheading???  (Read 2606 times)

DanTfisherman

At what point do you decide to quit Steelheading???
« on: December 14, 2006, 06:17:56 PM »

After reading a great post by the mastercaster here:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=12956.15

and hearing from my father-in-law, it got me to thinking about my own Steelheading and it's future.
So I thought I would post this to see if some have given up Steelheading, or what might (if anything) could ever get you (or them) to give up Steelheading.

The Father-in-Law phones me this evening to say a buddy of his just chatted with hime and had a 9 fish day on the Stamp (sometime this week).

He then begins to reminese about the "good old days" when he and I would go out.  Reminds me of those "10 steelhead" or more days (I have had a few of them), then goes on to state when you have reached a peek and hit perfection (bragging Steelheader talk), it just does not do it for you anymore and you give it up and move on.

Believe it or not, he has given up Steelheading.  Probably has not been out doing it in the last 10 years or so, especially after the Nanaimo went downhill really quickly about that time.  According to him, he was at the "top of his game" and just does not miss it anymore.

I love getting out there and just having a great experience for the day.  I love Steelheading and cannot see a day when I will want to give it up.

So, I have not been able to conclude if he is being honest, and does feel "he was the greatest Steelheader who ever lived" and he is happy with what has been and satisfied to move on, or has e given up Steelheading because,

1.  Age has caught up to him and he does not like making the long days and walking in the cold.
2.  The island has become restrictive, and he does not like all the various regs and closures.
3.  He was a big bait guy.  Really dislikes the bait bans and cannot see fishing without them.
4.  Remembers multi-fish days and does not see action like that anymore.  Therefore it is not worth going.
5.  Rivers are too busy and too many guys are out there.
6.  He did like to kill and eat the Steelies.  Not worth it due to numbers to catch and eat are not there like they used to be.

So, are there any of you who used to Steelhead a lot, but have now given it up and moved on.  What's your reasons?
Or for those of you who fish a lot for Steelhead, can you ever see a day where you loose interest and just give it up?  If you do, what do you believe will be the catalyst to get you to "put down the rod"

Dano

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: At what point do you decide to quit Steelheading???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:32:40 PM »

Well, I personally cant see myself giving it up, but as for him, i wonder why?, My guess is old age, cant put on the miles that he used too. Or the people, and new rules/regs. not like the good ol days perhaps. Not the true dye hards, as anyone can go out and floss a steel in stacked run? not the same.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 09:58:33 PM »

When they pry my rod and reel out of my cold dead hands....
President Club S. C. & P.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:33:56 PM »

I can see what he's saying to a point...If you were out and fishing 10 fish days, having the rivers more or less to yourself and then seeing what is happening now...Man, it would suck...Think about what it would be like if going to the vedder was all combat fishing...If you had to put in long hours and were lucky to catch one or two salmon a season...If the good rods got 20 salmon in a season, instead of in a day.....It might make you take up golf... :-[

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 08:49:21 AM »

NEVER, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :) :) :) :) :)
I have seen guys in wheel chairs fishing the Vedder and loving it. :)
 These guys are my heroes. If they can do it, then I can do it.
AND, I WILL!  :) :) :)
Diamonds are for ever?
Well, so are steel. :) :)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:32:33 AM »

Or for those of you who fish a lot for Steelhead, can you ever see a day where you loose interest and just give it up?

Don't see that day ever coming! Even if I get "too old" or have transport problems, I can always be strapped in my wheelchair to a pontoon  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Ribwart

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 03:54:16 PM »

As long as I can walk and breath I will fish steelhead. When I grow old and grey, and my opportunities are limited, then I will save my energy for steelhead season. If I can't even do that I will buy a home near the river so at least I can look upon it from time to time and remember the good old days...