Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the "new and improved" ambassadeur reels  (Read 2450 times)

allwaysfishin

the "new and improved" ambassadeur reels
« on: December 10, 2006, 02:02:53 PM »

just got my inventory in of new abu's. There are some sweet little reels coming from these folks this year. Has anyone picked up any of the new reels yet? 5600 c4's, 6600 c4's, 6600 EXT, 6600 D6 and several more, and the new 6500 C3 is a step up as well. Seems they finally caught on to the thumb bar clutch idea on many of the newer models as well. This years product appears that Abu has stepped up the game a bit and put some quality back into thier product. Looking forward to hearing reviews from those who have used any of these new reels.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
Re: the "new and improved" ambassadeur reels
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »

GET TO WORK

allwaysfishin

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 05:05:16 PM »

;D ;D

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »

I never had problems with my 5500 C3's in about ten years of usage. They're not the lightest or smoothest for casting but they do the job.  I think the reels with the old school black handles are better quality.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 06:26:09 PM »

I bought 4 6601-C4's this year.  No problems, not as smooth as the Calcutta, but for the money, a good reel. 

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 07:24:18 PM »

Only time will tell.  Taking apart and looking at it wont prove nothing until its put through some wear and tear.  Seems like they come out with new models every year or 2 and they have problems but hopefully these ones are different.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 08:18:46 PM »

Had the same C4 6500 for over 5 years. No worries, used in the salt, estuaries, and the rivers, taken chums, coho, pinks with it.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 11:59:12 PM »

Sorry Chrome king but ego should have nothing to do with a fisherman buying an Abu or any other reel for that matter,it comes down to durability and performance ,which some of the Abu reels from the 90 's didn't have,hopefully this years models will be able to live up to the expectations the older models created with their durability and performance . :) :)
small fish in a big river

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:05:48 AM »

the only new reel you mention is the 6600EXT. The rest of them have been on the market for a year. Pure Fishing changed the 6500c3's last year and discontinued the 6500c4 for the new 6600c4 last year also. It will be intere4sting to see how the 6600EXT stands up.

Ken D

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 08:41:48 AM »

Informative thread.  Personally I have a negative bias against thumb-bar reels.
The bar gets in the way for digital drag (actual digits, like: a thumb from the other hand), accidental engagement of reel mode halfway throuth a cast....now THAT's exciting,
And: when gorillas start casting these things, they bend or break off the pin which does the activation into cast mode.
A new frame is about 30 USD.
Put the greenhorns inside, and they also could very well destroy the pin.
Greenhorns: After doing self-service, or repairs, ENSURE THE REEL IS PLACED IN CAST MODE before placing the transmission side back on the frame !!!!
It's best to do this BEFORE you put the side plate back on the brake plate. 
Use a small screwdriver, or a 1/16 drill bit etc, to go thru the brake plate access hole, and hit the clutch drive.
There is an elongated slot on the brake plate where the thumb pin fits into, to do this.
This is the place you put the drill bit to flip the reel into cast mode. Make note of this access point as you remove the transmission side from the frame.