Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is coho season over???  (Read 2356 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Is coho season over???
« on: November 23, 2006, 07:52:32 AM »

I think coho season is pretty much over...its been a very tough fall this year...my worst for coho EVER.  I am thinking unless I hear some phenominal reports, I wont fish the valley again until steelhead season.

On a side note, I spoke with a guy at the cap hatchery yesterday and he said that a couple years back, scientists with F&O predicted very poor coho returns for last year and marginal ones for this year as well.  I asked him if that was based on krill or euphasid (SP?) populations and he said it was based on juvenile numbers leaving georgia straights or something to that effect. 

The last 2 years have been the worst coho fishing I have ever seen...when I was starting out and didnt know a thing, I was catching (and seeing) more coho in the rivers then.  I hiked 15kms on the chehalis yesterday and saw 2 booty coho where in previous years you would find 15-100 fish per pool.  Very sad indeed, hopefully things turn themselves around.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Is coho season over???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 08:13:43 AM »

On 10 trips to the vedder I only caught 3 coho one was a jack that was the only fish that I retained this year and now I'm waiting till the steelhead season.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 10:36:30 AM »

I have one or 2 vedder trips and 2 chehalis trips with one coho long line released.  Ya, I am pretty sure its over.  I doubt I will retain a fraser valley coho this year...this will be a first for me in over 15 years of fishing the valley!

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 11:18:43 AM »

PRETTY SPOTTY YEAR, AND A BIG DISAPOINTMENT !

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 11:22:54 AM »

I packed it in a few weeks ago...I figure if the stocks are so low its not a good idea to target them anyways.  Time to look at the bigger picture for me.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »

If we get a week or so of dry weather next week I will be back out for another couple trips. Otherwise its steelhead and trout for me.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Ribwart

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 12:39:29 PM »

one more coho trip for me and then I wait till boxing day...steelhead time!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 01:34:46 PM »

dismal..... pathetic..... a ridiculous let down.... that's how i will summ up my take on this years coho season. Last year i fished 6 days for coho between 3 differrent rivers and killed 8 fish (released 11) this year i  have fished  5 rivers over  13 rod days and killed 3 (released 8 ). Don't know what's going on out there but.... for all the $$ we have paid out in conservation fees and enhancement $$$ ... it leaves me wondering WTF?!?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »

I had gotten 3 for about 15 short trips. They were all caught in early september, and were fairely small, jacks. other then hooking them a week apart, I hadnt hook into one for the rest of the september month and the whole october month. :(
The Bigger The Better!