Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flu Shots  (Read 3505 times)

taffydoll

Flu Shots
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:43:47 PM »

Hey folks it is flu shot time, don't forget to get yours.

Sandy

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Flu Shots
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 08:05:49 PM »

Get mine very year free at work  ;D . But even if I have to pay I would still get it. Since I have gotten the flu shot I have not gotten the flu.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:03:59 PM »

thanks for the reminder! Last year right after I got the flu shot I also got sick. However only missed 2 days of school :'(
weeeeeeeeeow!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:51:27 PM »

I have never got sick from it. Question for you. When you got the flu shot did you have a cold or anyother sickness? The flu shot contains the parts of the flu. This way your body can build anti-bodies against the flu. If you are sick or sslightly sick you can develope flu like symtoms this is why they are supposed to get you to fill out a questionair.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:05:45 PM »

Fly guy is bang on. I have not got my kids their flu shots yet because of this. My youngest is on a anti biotic as was my daughter just a week ago.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:52:34 PM »

Had a flu shot every year of my life, and can't think of a winter gone by where I havn't got the flu. Got it twice last winter, think I'll skip this season  :-[ :-X
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 03:24:21 AM »

Ill make sure not to get one. That way when Im lucky enough to get sick, I can stay home from work and school and go fishing.  :)
The Bigger The Better!

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 04:07:23 AM »

Is it customary for Canadians to get flu shots once a year? Interesting. In Denmark its not exactly customary. I've heard of seniors getting flu shots here, but thats only if they have a tendency to get sick. I've never had a flu shot and Ive never had the flu (knock on wood!)  ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 10:07:15 AM »

I very very rarely get the flu, or even a bad flu.  Two years ago for the first time, I got a flu shot.  I was in perfect health when I received the shot, but about a month and a half later, came down with a really bad flu.  I was out of commission for three weeks and it turned into a bronchial infection.  After returning to work for about a month, I came down with another cold, this time a little less serious.  Last year I skipped out on the flu shot and made it through cold season relatively unscathed.  I think I like it better that way ....like they say...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. On another note...I have two friends who won't take ANY medication, including tylenol for colds/flus/headache etc.  Instead, they drink teas, have lots of chicken soup, etc, exercise and stuff like that.  They are very rarely sick and their colds don't seem to last as long as the norm..usually only a day or two of the sniffles.  I think as a culture we tinker a little too much with our bodies natural defenses, and this has led to both stronger viruses and weaker immune systems.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »

get mine every year for the last 3yrs and no flu for me. and i dont even get a reaction after the shot.i got to say get it now or pay later but thats up to you too decide

Ribwart

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 10:55:14 AM »

Never had a flu shot, haven't been sick in years...as long as I can remember anyways...When flu season comes around, I am very careful to wash my hands often, not touch my face, rub my eyes, etc....This time of year spreads the flu mostly because more and more people are indoors and in close association with each other allowing a greater ease with which the flu can get passed from one person to the next. People with the flu are often contagious for 4-6 days or more before they even begin to display symptoms, so you can't avoid it by  staying away from those that are sick, but you can prevent getting sick by simply limiting physical contact with people, washing your hands and face regularly, etc, etc...By being careful with respect to the increased level of contact with people this time of year, I have managed to avoid being sick for quite some time...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:57:46 AM by Ribwart »

Buck_wife

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 11:59:41 AM »

Not customary to get flu shots in this household, or shots of any kind actually. :)

I think over the last couple of years its gone a little over board. Just like buying water or using all kinds of antibacterial soaps, etc.
Makes for a weaker, sicklier breed of people, imo.

I guess we're just rednecks... :D