Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about choosing blanks  (Read 2904 times)

charles

question about choosing blanks
« on: November 20, 2006, 06:48:26 PM »

I am interested at buying a custom rod.  I just can't decide which blank I should use.  I have looked and compared and still can't make up my mind.  So, if anyone has any inputs, please feel free to add here.

I am using a 8'6 GLoomis GL3 HSR1021C

I am looking for a longer rod.  Blanks to choose from are:
CT 2106, CT 296, and IST 1264F

This will be my main float casting rod.  Please keep in mind that I like to use light gears...

Thanks in advance

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
Re: question about choosing blanks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

I'm betting Gooey will answer this one soon.
Fish on!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:47:17 PM »

What will you be targetting and on which river systems?
President Club S. C. & P.

charles

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:18:44 PM »

well, I have fished in the veddar long time ago, like 4 years ago.  Then I stopped and mostly doing a lot of salt...  This year, my friend took me back and it was quite fun, especially trying to use light gear for the chums...

I guess it would be the same veddar, and squamish for whatever it is there.  I don't bottom bounce or fossing so I don't think I need anything heavy.

The GL3 I have works fine but after I tried my friend's longer CT rod, it just toss better, feels better when float fishing...

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 06:25:19 AM »

Charles, if you like to throw hardware and also like to float fish then I would recommend a 9'er give or take, if you thinkk this rod will primarily be used for float fishing, go with a 10'6er.

I have fished the the CT296 and that is a nice rod, I had it on loan from the shop for a week and never got anything bigger than a 3lb cap coho but it was great casting #2 blue foxes unweighted and drifting roe...I am thinking of getting a couple to build into spinning rods.  They are a great blank and from what the shop said, their have a really strong mid section and butt that can handle a chum with ease.

I built up a lami that 8'6, rate 8-12 lb and its a nice rod too.  The sage is a bit faster (I think thats better for casting light lures) but they would both be great.  Lami's would probably be a little cheaper than a sage or Loomis, so take that into consideration if pricing is an issue.

charles

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 08:09:42 AM »

How about the rainshadow 1264?  Any opinion on that?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 08:44:10 AM »

I have no experience with rainshadows...havent even picked on up in  a shop. 

If money isnt an issue, stick to sage - I have had great experiences with their rods and I personally can vouch for the life time waranty being fabulous.  I bought a sage on ebay...maybe $125.  I closed it in the car door (remember that day bug pumper  :'( ) broke both halves.  $30 and 10 days later I had a brand new rod.  The old one was discontinued or something like that so I even got an upgrade to a newer blank made of better materials!  Gotta love that kind of service and protection.

fishfinder

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:19:36 PM »

I think the Rainshadow 1263 would be perfect if you like lighter gear. Stryker has the blank  listed for $83.92. That's a decent price for an excellent blank. It would be comparable to the CT 2106.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 02:22:15 PM »

I have both the RS 1263 and 1264. I do not like the 1264, but the 1263 is my favorite for coho and steelhead.

charles

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »

Rodney, I think I met you when you were fly fish for pink on the end of No3 road during the summer.  Not sure you remember me...  but great job with this site...

Since you have both, can you tell me if there is any differeneces on the thickness of the 1263 and 1264.  And is there any weight differences?

Thanks in advnace

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »

Rodney, I think I met you when you were fly fish for pink on the end of No3 road during the summer.  Not sure you remember me...  but great job with this site...

Thanks! ;) It was probably not me because I don't flyfish down here, but it was probably someone else who I know.

I find the 1264 much heavier than the 1263. It makes me quite tired after a couple of hours. The 1263 on the other hand, is light and has the action that I have always looked for. I can fish with it all day long.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 03:57:58 PM »

1263 is a good rod.  It's mostly good for coho, pinks, but can still take a beating playing chum and springs. (but keep in mind that 1263 is a fibre/graphite matrix, so do becareful)

Oh ya what Rodney did in that picture in the shor floating article.... well do't do that often.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 04:03:50 PM »