Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will you post pic's of your flesh pattern flys please???  (Read 5890 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Will you post pic's of your flesh pattern flys please???
« on: November 20, 2006, 01:44:11 PM »

Hi all,

I went down and got some beige rabbit fur and tied up some flesh patterns, not sure they are the greatest and would like to see what the rest of your's looks like...I found some "flesh toned" rabbit strips as well, so used them in mine too....

Couple questions, What size hook are you using? Are you weighting them or not? thanks, Ill post pic's of mine so far, to see if I'm doing um right....

I started with a size 4 hook on the first one and then switched down to size 6's for the rest as i was worried they would be too big...My last fly was a streamer more with legs which I hope works too..( I would really like to see some of those patterns too, can't find any in my books, streamer that is )...So here's mine so far...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:54:06 PM by Xgolfman »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Will you post pic's of your flesh pattern flys please???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:11:07 PM »

I will post some later. but you should send me a dozen and ill tell you if their ok ;)

Those look good. your on the right track.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 06:56:37 PM »

Paul I never ask anglers to be the first judge of my flies. I say "let the fish be the judge" because we all think we know soooo much; when in reality we only know a small fraction of what we think we know. I can't count the time when the fish have given me a reality check. Your flies look good to me, but you need to find some fish and put them to the test. After the fish have given you their approval then share them with some trusted freinds who know their stuff and will give them an honest try and appraisel. At least that's who I do it.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 07:31:59 PM »

Thanks Jeff, I'm just wondering if I'm tying them correctly. Is that how you tie flesh flys? Are they too big??...Still learning  ;)

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »

Paul, Those look tasty to me if I was a Cutthroat, Rainbow or Bulltrout  ;)  I like th use of two tone rabbit strips near the top 1/3 rd of the fly, infact I just bought some of those rabbit strips  ;)  As for size, for small Cutthroat you may want to go a bit smaller, but those are fine for most situations. Especially now with higher and dirtier water conditions. My flesh flies are usually 2-3" long on tubes, but most of the time I'm targetting Bulltrout with them. I like my flesh flies to be unweighted, because I think it looks more natural in the water.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 09:44:27 PM »

cool, that's what I wanted to hear...I'll try some smaller ones too, they seem to be big for cutties which was my main worry even though I'm using #6 hooks...

p.s. CMK the pram is going to be hunter green with webs...sure like who ever ordered this prams taste... ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 12:41:44 PM »

Those look very yummy ;D Thanks for sharing Golfman!
weeeeeeeeeow!

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 10:59:36 PM »

At the South Surrey fly tying night yesterday I tied up some flesh flies. I've never tied them before but was inspired by this thread to give it a try. Here's what I came up with. They are tied on #8 hooks and are about 1.5" long.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 12:42:24 AM »

Fishon, did you tie in the rabbit strips backwards, thats a rather good idea i must say.  I bet it gives the fly a lot more pulsation in the water.  I'll have to try that.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »

I tried a couple this week, didn't have any luck but that was probably more from no fish then anything..

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 12:06:39 PM »

those look egsacly like, chum flesh when they rot. nice flies, wouldnt mind going out for a little cutty action, but steelhead takes up most of my time.

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 05:04:15 PM »

Those look nice Peter, always wonder about those "flesh flies" or what it was all about, tying in the hide looks even easier. I should of checked out what you were tying that night.

I'll post on the site the next tying night in South Surrey, It's December 21st, my dads b-day but will still hold it.

Paul, I have no expeirience on flesh flies, if you can cross the line that night I can make it the tying night, venue a flesh fly night, it would be something different and interesting. Post the materials needed and I'll pick some up for the members :)

RBl
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles