Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dream coming true!  (Read 3003 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
Dream coming true!
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:28:56 PM »

Since visiting and fishing the Port Renfrew area several years ago my dream was to one day own property there and start spending time there each year fishing and exploring!  Well part one of the dream is completed as I have purchased property! :D  HOORAY!  Now the fishing part!!   Maybe all you guys (gals) can give me input into what I need to invest in as far as boat, motor, gear etc.  Should be fun reading your ideas.  I know a lot of you have had experience out there so please help me out!  I am basically a salt water newbie!  Only boat I have now is a 10 ft. lake boat! Go for it!  Would my river outfits be ok as a starter set.  Want to eventually go out for halis!  Now I am not rich so will be doing this a bit at a time! ???

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Dream coming true!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:47:20 PM »

I'd buy something that would be good for fast movement to the fishing ground in good weather and fair sea's. Unless like fishing the heavy winds and rough sea's. You'll have a lot of the latter. 8)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 11:58:24 PM »

Thanks, best area is 10 minutes from wharf!  Unless I head for halibut which will be in a few years!  Hopefully will be able to get larger boat then!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 12:07:02 AM »

There is great fishing right by shore. Especially during the summer. When it's nice and warm. Unfortunately the wind comes up there a lot. I have tried around Victoria and up that way and loved the area. Just wanted to take a halibut charter for going further out because fishing out of a 12 foot to the hali grounds was dumb.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 12:10:19 AM »

Try Maxxum Fishing Adventures, out of Renfrew, ask for Rob and say that Bill told you!  No I am not going to far out for the first while until I get better at it, but lots of fish around the point, rock fish, cod springs etc.  No hali though!

ColinB

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:08:52 AM »

Great to see it's all coming together!

Have you thought of a boat sharing deal with somebody local?  It would certainly keep your costs down!  It would also give you a fishing buddy to just be there in times of trouble.

Good luck,

Colin

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 07:03:37 AM »

If you want to fish swiftshure banks I suggest a big boat ;D Last time i was there we had 15-20 foot sweels. I believe the boats "silverstreak" are made in sooke. They are great boats but can be a little pricey ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:24:05 PM »

If it's WCVI fishing'/boatin' advice you want introduce yourself here http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2
It's your new home!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 07:44:53 PM »

Lucky guy, Renfrew is an AMAZING place!

One of my favorite fishing areas around, you could go for years without getting bored.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 08:11:33 PM »

It is!  But I don't want to just sit and watch others have fun!  I want to do as much as I can!  How is the San Juan River for fishing?  Don't know much about it, I also hear that there are a few excellent trout lakes!
Colin, I didn't know there was such a thing!  Might be worth looking into!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 08:15:54 PM »

the san Juan is pretty barren for trout, but do a little hunting around for info on Harris Creek, not sure if it's open for steelies anymore or not...

That area is one of the best in BC for estuary cutthroat fishing... heaven on earth! I've never fished salt there unfortunately so I can't say anything about halis and such.

Make sure you put some time in fishing Lizard lake, I've seen some big ones come out of there. Fairy lake is great too for cutts and rainbows.

Plus the surfing is very good there, I'd drive up with my friends who surfed while I fished... Very awesome place.

Cheers,
nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 07:43:26 AM »

I have watched the surfers, back in October.  Interesting group of people.,  What about beginners sets of rods and reels?