Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New shimano reel...  (Read 5973 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
New shimano reel...
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:36:59 PM »

Well, I'm down to one gear rod...and as I sold the calcutta conquest was looking for something to put on my lamiglass cert. pro just in case I want to toss some roe sacks this winter...I know a guy on the river that fishes nothing but spoons and he swears by the curado's....My only knock on them is they don't hold as much line as I'd like...So, as I'm sitting there debating on it and the guy shows me the new curado 300....holds 240 yards of 12 pound test...I believe 180 of 15...which was exactly what I was looking for...Put on a couple hundred yards of 12 Izzorline and there you go....I tested it out in my back alley... ::)...(yeah I know but it was dumping and I am not that much into gear sheeit anyways....)   I was really impressed with how smooth it was and how effortlessly it tossed out some major length casts...Smooth as butta on the retrieve as well...Size wise it's almost identical to the 200's....So very nice fit in the hand and low profile is always IMHO the nicer look.....

So what does it all mean...probably diddly as I'm more pumped then ever to catch my first steelhead on the fly and bought a new line for that express purpose as well....BUT...The odd time I do like to toss the roe sacks or spoons, this will be a nice addition to use...FWIW..

Chrome Mykiss

Re: New shimano reel...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:25:12 PM »

Xgolfman,
I too have been eyeing that Curado, 300DVS, lately  ::)  The new Curado has been beefed up too with the HEG gearing and the Dartainium drag, which should hold up longer with steelhead and salmon fishing  ;)  I love low profile reels, thats all I fish with now when I'm gear fishing. I already have a Curado 200 and a Calais 200, but would like to add a reel that has larger line capacity. Let me know if you get bored of it or get fly snobby and decide that you don't want it anymore, I'll give it a good home  ;D

A little off topic, but I heard your getting a new Spring Creek Hopper II, congrats  :)  The lite glass version, splash finish?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:38:59 AM »

xgolf, you should reely consider getting a proper reel.

I've used this one and it's better then shimano in my opinion.

In a review by Tackletour.com, they raved, "The record is probably the best reel we’ve seen introduced by Abu Garcia since the Morrum, and a worthy winner of our Editors Choice Award. …this is a reel that goes back to the roots of what made Abu great in the first place – quality Swedish design, first-rate materials, a high level of performance and refinement, all at a reasonable price."

review here:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarecord.html

Four ball bearings

Two roller clutch bearings for exceptionally smooth casts and retrieves

Stainless steel construction, with brass components for superior durability

New carbon matrix star drag system for total fish control

Six-pin centrifugal brake

Corrosion-resistant middle gear bearing

Lightweight vented spool

Swedish-cut, crowned brass gearing

Chemical nickel-coated levelwind

Thumbar line release

Over-sized handle paddles

Beveled edges

Soft rubber thumb rest

Laser-etched logos

Made in Sweden

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 08:40:47 AM by dennisK »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 09:10:41 AM »

Have you actually held that reel Dennis ??  I had one in my grimy lil hands at the local Tackle store and while it is smooth and nicely finished it is also the heaviest tank of a reel I have ever seen !!!!  five hours of that fat my friend reel and you will have carpel tunnel
 ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 09:28:46 AM »

Have you actually held that reel Dennis ??  I had one in my grimy lil hands at the local Tackle store and while it is smooth and nicely finished it is also the heaviest tank of a reel I have ever seen !!!!  five hours of that fat my friend reel and you will have carpel tunnel
 ;D

Yes I did. I was fishing with a friend in Lynden about a month ago and used it for a few hours. It was sickly smooth and fit well in my larger hands.

Also, I had no problem with the weight, but my hands are spectacularly strong.

I can undo wheel bolts without any tools  ;D

fishfinder

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:15:54 AM »

I too have been eyeing that Curado, 300DVS, lately

Me, too. The new Curado looks great and I like the low profile reel as well. Looks like a real winner.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:30:15 AM »

I too have been eyeing that Curado, 300DVS, lately

Me, too. The new Curado looks great and I like the low profile reel as well. Looks like a real winner.

Holy cow guys, I just checked the price on it.

$249 US

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLCSHIMANO-SCU30D.html

I'm sure it's a winner but so is a new BMW.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »

;D

Yes I did. I was fishing with a friend in Lynden about a month ago and used it for a few hours. It was sickly smooth and fit well in my larger hands.

you should talk to XGolfman ... I hear he likes men with large strong hands  ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 05:08:07 PM »

i have been float fishing salmon and steelhead with the low profile reels since early 90's. My first , a shimano bantam coriolis 200d, awesome reel, still fish it to this day, has literally landed thousands of pounds of fish. I also fish the shimano calais "antares" and this reel is simply amazing, i have not seen any reel that compares to the smoothness and function. I am dressing up my newly built talon L2 that will replace my sage 3106 as my go to steelhead rod with a shimano citica 200 DVP, another amazing low pro baitcaster. Spool these with 17 or 20 lbs fireline and your in business. The only time i use a conventionally sized baitcaster is a calcutta 400 for upper fraser and for salt water trolling and casting for top water coho.

norm_2

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 09:39:48 PM »

I have not had the pleasure of using a low-profile reel and would like to know what the advantages they have over a convention round reel.  Thanks.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 10:44:38 PM »

The main difference is they generally weigh less and are easier to palm for some.  Most low profile reels have narrow and/or shallow spools which help in casting lighter weighted lures but there are also round reels with small sized spools which are also good for casting lighter weights.  Round reels are actually slightly better casters because on most if not all? low profile reels the line is pushed down by the line guide which creates friction.  That said there are some high end import low pros specifically designed for casting very light lures (1/8 oz) but I haven't had the pleasure to use one.  I've also heard the Conquest 50 (round) is great for casting really light stuff.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:47:27 PM by Eagleye »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 11:35:18 PM »

Xgolfman,
I too have been eyeing that Curado, 300DVS, lately  ::)  The new Curado has been beefed up too with the HEG gearing and the Dartainium drag, which should hold up longer with steelhead and salmon fishing  ;)  I love low profile reels, thats all I fish with now when I'm gear fishing. I already have a Curado 200 and a Calais 200, but would like to add a reel that has larger line capacity. Let me know if you get bored of it or get fly snobby and decide that you don't want it anymore, I'll give it a good home  ;D

A little off topic, but I heard your getting a new Spring Creek Hopper II, congrats  :)  The lite glass version, splash finish?

I have no idea...I called Jerry from Spring Creek and was asking if had any used ones etc. He had just got this one back and it had some minor damage to the front, So he made me a great offer on it...Just hope it's not pink..otherwise Thickrick will be asking for rides in it.... >:(

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 11:36:01 PM »

;D

you should talk to XGolfman ... I hear he likes men with large strong hands  ;D

:D :D Keeping trying oil boy... ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 10:22:39 AM »

the main advantages i have found with the low profile reels is the ease of control and one hand operation. most have the clutch control in the center where your thumb naturally sits and many have what is called a "flippin clutch feature" that enables the thumb to simply push up on the clutch bar rather than having to crank the handle to engage the clutch. Makes for amazing line/float control when drifting. The other advantages are that they are much lighter than a standard barrel type reel and the castability of some models will amaze you. The Antares version of the shimano calais i have is 100 % saltwater rated , has a titanium frame and foot, and a list of features that goes on and on. I can cast 1/8 oz with relative ease and it bombs a 1/4 oz farther than would seem possible for a baitcaster. BUT with a sticker price well over 600.00 cnd i would expect no less :D