Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vonember (Novedder?) 13  (Read 1672 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Vonember (Novedder?) 13
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:09:40 AM »

The neighbor and I took his son for a drive yesterday up the Vedder and it is nasty!  Threw the rod in for the hell of it, not expecting to get anything (and lived up to my expectations!) but for the fresh air and ahhhh casting practice?  ya, that's it!  But I digress.... drove up to the Limit hole around 7am and no one there, so we decided to stay for a bit (not a normal place for me to fish, but the higher the ahem, "clearer" the water should be, right?).  Visibility there was about 4-6" at best, no trees coming down, really not much debris either, ifin you don't count the mud that is...  Lots of beat up chum and a few very red springs, all keeping close to the rocks.  By 8:00 6 or 8 people had shown up, so packed up and had a coffee.  Didn't see anyone with so much as a hit (there were roe guys, wool guys and some blades being thrown out). 

Down to Thurston to have a look around.  Water is very high - no where to fish, even if we had wanted to!  There was one guy and his kids holding rods, they hadn't caught anything... the path that goes thru the 'creek' to the hole where a lot of people fish was well, under water to put it mildly - the whole forest was under water raging down the hill through the trees.  Kinda interesting to see, but not a good sign of any fishable water coming for a while.

Down to another spot mid-river.  On the drive down there were a surprising amount of cars around and fisherpeople out - a day on a crappy conditioned river catching nothing is still better than a day in a crappy airconditioned office, catching heck all day!  The river here had gone from double-double up at limit to more a chocolate milk here (the 2% stuff, not skim or even 1%!).  The kid wanted to fish, so we indulged him and poured a couple coffees.  I got bored and rigged up some wool, more for the ahhhh exercise than anything... spent an hour, maybe a little more.  Rained a bit and the wind handed out a couple of pretty good gusts.  There wasn't any debris to mention coming down at this point in the river, either (nor was there any fish, but what did you expect to read here? LOL).  Couple other guys showed up (it was afterall a nice day for anyone new to the sport to practice!) and chatted with them for a while, they hadn't been ketching anything either.  We did see one fish (small spring it looked like) across and up river from us go home with the guy.

By this point it's early afternoon and the coffee is all gone, and we're tired of doing the wader wiggle to well, 'recycle' the coffee  ;) so we hop back in the jeep for a bit of a sightseeing tour on the way back down the river.  Still a lot of flooding and lost (temporary or for good, who knows) farm pastures... wonder where the river will settle and decide to call home for the next few years?  There's enough lumber hung up everywhere to build a small city!  If there's another flood high enough to knock all those downed trees back into the flow, it's a gonna be a dangerous place to be swimming!  As we pass the normally crowded spots that are close to the road, I'm surprised that they are very crowded with this water the way it is.  Wonder if anyone caught anything...

All in all a nice day out, but good thing it wasn't a die hard fishing trip as we would have been disappointed.

Heard a tractor-trailer went over the vedder bridge on the highway at 4am - cab is under water and they have yet to locate the driver with divers.  Hope he turns up ok, but it doesn't sound too good...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Ribwart

Re: Vonember (Novedder?) 13
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:08:51 AM »

Nice report scouter...will be some time till the river recovers....hope the driver is ok...
rib

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:57:17 AM »

good read scouter!  sounds like there is going to be LOTS of rain soon :'(
weeeeeeeeeow!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 07:19:44 PM »